Locking output jacks

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scottfeldstein, May 24, 2022.

1. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    The list of things I don't like about my Ibanez BTB745 is short, but the locking output jack is definitely on it. I honestly don't see the sense in such a thing at all. Is inadvertently unplugging your guitar cable really that much of a risk that you must have a locking mechanism for it? If it were to be unexpectedly yanked hard enough to unplug it, wouldn't you rather have it come free than damage something because it's locked in place? It's not like you're going to leave it plugged in for long stretches of time because that would drain the battery. Plus, the unlocking button is difficult and painful to use.

To make matters worse, I think mine is starting to short out. I have been getting staticky noise from it lately. Probably due to all the force I have to use getting the cable out every time I put it down.

I should just replace it with a standard output jack, right? I guess I'll have to get a soldering iron. And learn to solder. The L is silent right?

2. Discount Bassy

Discount Bassy Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Right Here.
    The correct pronunciation of soldering iron is "sodderin' arn". Also, the crackle you hear could just be that the jack needs to be cleaned. If you don't like the self-locking business, eliminate it.

3. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    I always thought those were such an unecessary appointment/feature. I wonder what the selective pressure that led to the addition of the locking jack were.

StayLow likes this.
  4. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    LULZZ :)

5. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Well everyone knows that "solder" was named after the Marquee de Sold.

6. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Yeah, and this output jack was designed by him.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Make that Marquis de Sod, which has additional implications in the last word.

Winslow likes this.
  8. E2942

E2942

Jan 25, 2022
    The Marquis' adopted surname gave us the name for Sadism.

Sadism would be going to the trouble of removing a perfectly functioning jack when you don't even own the tools to do it, but especially if you burn yourself & enjoy it.

Rip Van Dan and Jeff Hughes like this.
  9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'm nominating this for Post of the Day.

10. E2942

E2942

Jan 25, 2022
    It's probably not shorting, it's corroded.
    Spray some DeOxit on the plug then insert it, spin in around & re-insert a few times.

11. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Over on the EHB club thread, somebody posted a link to somebody's instructions on taking the spring out of these things and thus converting it to a regular jack without any soldering.

12. I agree, I never liked 'em.

Hopefully the static-y jack just needs cleaning. Like E2942 said, put some cleaner (I use DeOxit) on the jack and run it around a few times. Along those lines, I bought some interdental brushes, used for flossing. No more than 5 or 6 bucks from grocery store, pharmacy, etc.. Variety pack of different sizes. Put some cleaner on it, insert in plug, brush away. Larger size for guitar and amp 1/4 jacks, smaller sizes for the small headphone and XLR jacks.
    cps_group_image.jpg

13. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I must find this!

BarfanyShart likes this.
  14. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    After the break on "Solutions In Search of Problems": locking output jacks. You won't believe what our Night Team found.

15. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    Well, there was this guitar I played with a few times that I wish had this.
    During the course of an hour, he managed to unplug himself 3 times.
    We tried to explain that he should loop the chord through his strap, but at first it was like we were talking ancient greek to him. When we showed him how to do it, he didn't like that idea.
    But then again, he couldn't figure out what we were talking about a boost pedal for his leads, so.......
    I suppose he will get out of the bedroom someday.

16. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I believe, the locking jack was an attempt to fix jacks that lose contact when moved a bit. to damage the jack or the bass, one even doesn't need the jack to be locking. ever seen a pickguard cracked near the jack on a p-bass? that was it.

for me, wrapping a cable around the strap button and using an angled plug at the bass' side both prevents disconnection and moves the strain point away from my jack when a cable is tripped over. so for me not really much value in a locking jack on bass. why did they put it? IDK, maybe they wanted their basses to scream, they've installed the most expensive jack possible in it and that's it.

17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I bought a Marshall amp once, and was kinda annoyed that, if I ran out of cord, it unplugged pretty easily. I thought that was stupid, until a few days later, when I was playing with a head that had the jack on the top, and I darn near pulled it off the cabinet. Suddenly I realized the smarts of those British amp guys.

Bass4Brkfast and scottfeldstein like this.
  18. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    Agree. I keep forgetting about it and trying to yank the cord out.

19. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    I can see myself tripping over the cord while bass is on a stand...and yanking the bass across the room while falling on my face. Who am I kidding I've done that without locking jacks.

20. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I agree that the locking feature is unnecessary at best and a minor nuisance in practice.
    I had a static-y issue with my jack as well, but couldn't replicate it with other plugs - even jiggling them around a whole bunch. I looked inside & everything seems solid.
    Neutrik makes good stuff, so until I really think it's broke, I ain't going to fix it. And if I do, I'll use the same type, because fitting another style jack will be a bigger hassle than dealing with the lock.