Logical Pre-amp and Amp settings? [BG]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jack Clark, Mar 6, 2010.

1. I just installed a K&K Pure Bass pickup for 5-String Acoustic Bass in my upright guitarrón and ran it through a K&K Pure XLR pre-amp and into an Acoustic AB50 practice combo. This is the first time I've dealt with amplifying anything, and I have a question:

After trying several positions, it seems to me that all six strings are sounding best--i.e., most natural and most even--when I cut both the bass and the treble a bit and boost the mid a bit on both the pre-amp and the amp. In fact, the clock-face positions of the three knobs are identical: 1030(bass) / 1330(mid) / 1030(treble) on both the pre-amp and the amp. Both volume settings are quite low for just my own practice at home. I'm getting what I consider to be a nice, tight, well-defined bass with no muddiness, boom or honk.

So, my question is: Do these pre-amp and amp settings make sense with each other?

I'm guessing that you're all going to say that I should just go by the sound and if you do, that'll be fine. I just want to make sure that I'm not bucking some established and accepted convention here--somehow making the pre-amp and amp work against each other, say.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If it sounds good, it is good. That's it. There doesn't have to be any reason, or method, just what sounds good. It's all good.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021