1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Logo material?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dave120, Mar 30, 2006.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I'm thinking of doing a custom logo for when I refinish a bass neck soon. What types of material do you guys typically use when you make them? My plan is to do one in white or silver since it's going on a black headstock. Probably silver if it's possible to print one on an inkjet since it won't do white.

I could always send my design to one of those ebay guys and have them print it their "special" way for like $15 but I'm curious as to what a lot of you builders use.

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i printed mine on water transfer paper using an inkjet. if you go to a nice model and hobby store they will have it. it works just like the stickers in a plastic model kit.

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yea, you can use the decals you find at hobby stores, but i believe you can only print with black, or it won't show up very well. IIRC you need an ALPS printer to print with colors.

4. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Hmm...well black isn't gonna work too well since my headstock will be black! Maybe I'll be better off getting a place to do it for me in metallic silver ink or something.

Thanks guys

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    my avatar is my logo, the orange printed fine. i cant vouch for the other colors.

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    lol nevermind then. i used to frequent a car modeling forum and i remember i read something about decal paper needing a certain type of printer, but then again i haven't been to that forum in awhile, and i never really read too much about it, so there is a good chance i was wrong :) .

7. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    I cut mine from pearl (or whatever) and inlay it.

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    print a black outline on that transparency, then colour it in with a silver marker?

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i tried that method first and even with the thinnest transparency film i could find it was way too thick. it would take a lot of coats of finish to cover up the edges.

10. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The guys on Ebay will print you up a nice logo...I have bought a few repro logo's for repairs, and they are always outstanding. Pay the $16 or $18 dollars they guys who do metallic inks charge. you won't be dissappointed.

11. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I went to my local hobby store and picked up the SuparCal Water Slide Decal System. Printed on my Epson Injet.

[​IMG]