1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Logo's and why I say no

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by USAJO, Mar 15, 2008.

1. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    The idea of putting a parts bass together and then buying a Fender logo to stick on it is just wrong in my opinion. Just my opinion, doesn't have to be your opinion. But being that many have no problem with it why do we not see people and putting a Sadowsky, Lull, Lakland or any of the other companies logos on these parts basses?
    Please post all you parts bass pics with non Fender logo's. Let's see your Nash Sadowsky. no?........ok your Nash Laklands ......then...........no?.............ok maybe your Nash Lull's................alright then go ahead and post your Nash Rambler pics..........it's all good.
    A guitar player I worked with had a Nash Strat that was a great guitar...then he put a Fender logo on it.......I think it would have been just as cool to have a Nash logo on it. As a follow up he sold it and bought a Fender relic..........go figure. ;)

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That which we call a rose by any other name, still has thorns.

3. I agree with the idea of putting a logo on a part's bass.

BUT, I'm toying with the idea of getting a Fender 5'er Jazz and getting a Fender Licensed neck with a fretless ebony board. I believe the Fender Licensed necks don't have a logo either. I don't see something wrong with putting a logo on something like that.

It's not like trying to be deceptive. Is it?

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Fender and their lawyers have a big problem with putting Fender decals on anything not made by Fender.

5. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Why bother with a name-brand logo? If I put together a frankenbass, it would say Nick Kay in flashing purple lights on the headstock.

6. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Sag Harbor, NY
    I own one Nash JB63 and have another on order. The second will have Lollars and stacked knobs as opposed to Dimarzios/VVT on the first. Neither needs or will get a logo. I like them better than Fenders. That's why I will soon have two. If I wanted a Fender I would buy one. I also rather enjoy the confused look on peoples faces when they check the bass out. I've been asked "What happened to the logo?"on numerous occasions.

7. Then why do people get so upset when you put a "Fender" logo on a "Squier" bass. Before I sanded the logo off my squier, it said "by Fender". So, Squiers are actually Fender products right?

I don't really care. These threads always turn out nasty so I'll leave it at that...

Steve

8. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Yet another logo thread.

9. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1

I was actually considering putting my last name on my SX's headstock using the traditional Fender font. :cool:

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id love to see Nash put a logo on his basses. Just like I love when I see someone with the warmoth logo on their headstock.

11. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    oh I see another logo thread as opposed to say another Shuttle or Markbass or Sadowsky thread. Me love's 'em some logo threads. I think a Nash logo is a good thing. From all the players I know they are well respected and great instruments. Wear the Nash proudly.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I guess if Fender wanted a "Fender" decal on a Squier they'd put one on.

13. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    amen! its a squier deal with it!

14. If I was to put a name on the headstock of a bass I'd built, it would be a name of my devising. A parts bass isn't a Fender...

15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have no problem with recreations of Fender basses having a Fender logo put on the headstock to make them look authentic as long as the bass has a disclaimer of some kind on it somewhere. For instance you turn your Squier into a Jaco tribute bass with a Fender logo on the front of the headstock and a small Squier logo and the correct SN# on the back. Making them fully authentic from head to toe with the logo means that you or the next owner will likely sell it for more than it's worth and someone down the line is going to get burned paying $700+ on a $200 bass. This is what I see people having a problem with; not the fact that you've made it for yourself and will be keeping it, but rather that at some point it will be passed on as something it's not. I've got a Frankenbass in production right now with a Squier body; I plan to leave the neck plate with the Squier logo on it as well as having "FRANKENBASS" on the headstock (was never a Fender model) and my birthdate as the SN#. To me this is enough to keep anyone who knows anything about Fender basses from believing that it's a real Fender bass. Anyone who doesn't know about Fender basses isn't going to know the value of one over the other anyways, I'd be primarily worried about my peers.

16. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE BRAND NAME A ON A BASS, DON'T BUY IT!!!

Or just sand it off. Don't try to make it something it's not.:rollno:

You can buy a Yugo & put Corvette emblems on it but it's still a Yugo!

17. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Agreed.

I've replaced the OLP logo on mine with my own recreated MM SR5 Logo in a brown/burgundy color. However... the back of the headstock says OLP, and the neck plate stays OLP. Neither will ever be removed.

My reasoning? This bass is close enough for my use. I played two gigs with it badged as OLP. Each 2-4 bass players came up to tell me how much better it would sound if it was a 'real' SR5 HH, yet 3 of those 4 also said when they walked in the room they "knew" a MM was being played. Since re-badging it I've played 3 gigs... at each 3-4 bass players have came up to compliment me on how great my SR5 sounds.

At that point I turn the bass around and show them the OLP badges to their amazement.

I'm not hiding that it's an OLP... however, re-badging it allows people to listen with their EARS rather then making a decision with their EYES.

I have no regrets, or remorse over my approach. Also, "if" I ever sell the bass it will be sold as a re-badged OLP with improvements and not an SR5.

I've been called a heretic before. No biggie.

18. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I don't mind if someone puts a Fender logo on a parts bass, if that's the aesthetic they're going for. But as someone else alluded to, I would hope there would be full disclosure when the bass was sold, instead of trying to claim that it is an original Fender.

As far as Nash basses go, I think he should put a logo on the headstock. To me, it just looks unnatural with a blank spot there.

19. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    I think he should too but it would kill his business.

20. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I have no issue with people branding pegheads however they want. It isn't like there are dishonest people out there looking to sell fakes. ;) Anyone want to buy a minty J in lake placid blue?