LOL @ Bass Centre London

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Oct 14, 2002.

1. I'm currently looking around at prices on a Spector REX 2000/5, and the price that Bass Centre London have quoted me is £739. That's $1154, MORE than the list.

Johnny BoomBoo, where did you get your REX from, and do they deliver?

P.S. Is it OK to assume 25% or 30% off list as the standard?
  2. I've never seen a bargain in a Bass Centre. ;)
  3. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I was in the Bass Centre on Friday, and I agree.

They told me a Stingray 5 was £1499, and said I could have it for £1399, then said £1329 if I bought in there and then.

You can get them through for £1149.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I prefer the Galley but I will stick up for the basscentre.

Yes their prices are a little enthusiastic but the level of service and knowledge is excellent. The basses are set up well.

It's up to the buyer but making that decision on price alone can cause trouble later.
  5. Sorry I kinda dragged this thread off at a tangent.

Can't help with the prices but, I think Rotosound are the Distributers in the UK.

I got a cracking Wal 4 string from the Gallery for £650 a while back, he says dragging it off on another tangent. :D
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - you pay for the fact that they do free set-ups and help you with what ever you need, plus they let you play as long as you like on any number of instruments.

If you don't need all that and just know exactly what you want, then there's little point in buying there.

I've never bought a new bass guitar from them anyway - I have only bought used ones, where the price has been very good and their help and the fact you can play as much as you like, means you can make sure they are in top condition.

If I was certain that I wanted one particular production bass unseen, then I would buy mail order - but I've never been in this situation and each bass is an "individual", that I need to try first.;)
  7. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Great. Now I've got GAS. Guilt Aquired Syndrome ;).

Let me go on record by saying that the level of service in The Bass Centre is extremely good. They really couldn't help me out enough. I haven't had a lot of joy buying through mail order in the past, so you can't beat playing a bass and then saying, "I'll take it". You never quite know what you could be getting with mail order.

Mind, I'm guilty of looking at books in Waterstones and then buying them cheaper off the internet. That's e-commerce for you. If high street music shops disappeared it'd be a sad day.

I'll buy a few sets of strings off them the next time I visit.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it would be even sadder if there were no high-street bookshops to browse through ....:(

Go out and buy a book from every high-street book chain now!! I insist!! :D
  9. I got my Wal there for 699 pounds. Then I got the VAT refunded when I came back to Cali, so it was a pretty good price. Didn't ask them for prices on other stuff.
  10. I'm not disputing the fact that BC have great service - it's top notch. I just find it amusing that if they ship a bass north, once it gets past Birmingham they knock £150 off it. An NS 2000/5 in Manchester BC is around £600. The service in both stores I have visited (London and Manchester) is brilliant, as good if not better than Martin in the Gallery in Camden. The manager at BC London even did me some Rotosound steels for £13.50 just because I know Richard, the manager here in Manchester. Also in my favour is the fact that Napper, now assistant manager at Manchester BC, used to work in the Academy of Sound here and I'm good mates with him.

He should be able to get me that REX for £600 if I bribe him with the promise of purchasing a gigbag, straplocks, pick holder and some new strings, ALL CASH.