Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LOL....LA12 help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Nov 7, 2005.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah I know it's a SWR LA12 [1st generation] model. I like it because it small, light and perfect for rehearsal in a small, tight garage! Anyways, this thing makes a loud pop every time I power up! Is there anything [electronically speaking] that I can have done to stop that god awful pop! Anyone else here familiar with what I'm talking about? :help:

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I have a '96 SWR basic 350 & it does the same thing. The guy I bought it from said don't plug the speaker cab in til it's powered up.

3. From SWR's Q&A section on their site:

"Q: When I turn my SWR amplifier's power switch to the "On" position, I hear a "pop" sound through my speakers.
    A: This may be the top concern among SWR owners. Unfortunately, there is no effective way to resolve this issue without taking measures that would be detrimental to both the tone quality and reliability for which SWR amplifiers are known. Although many users consider the "pop"—a transient heard at power-up—to be disconcerting, it is normal and will not damage your loudspeakers.

Elimination of the power-on transient would require additional circuitry and the inclusion of a component called a "relay" (relays are known to degrade signal quality and are prone to failure). When a relay failure occurs—which is not unusual—it can cause the amplifier to completely lose output, requiring significant downtime for repair. Hence, SWR chose not to incorporate such components into its amplifier designs. If you still wish to avoid hearing the power-on transient, the following actions may be taken:

• For amplifiers with a speaker on/off switch, set the speaker switch to the "Off" position, power on the amplifier, then set the speaker switch to the "On" position.
    • For modular amplifiers without a speaker on/off switch, connect your speaker cable to the amplifier's speaker outputs after power up if you choose. It's important, however,to make sure that you aren't playing through the unit and that no signal is present when you make the connection."

4. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    yeah.. i have the 1st generation LA15 and it does the same thing. I read in the manual that its perfectly normal. It only does it when it goes from cold to on. If its been on for a while, then you turn it off, then back on, it usually doesn't do it.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh well, I guess I'll have to deal with it until I buy something else to take it's place. I hate that frikkin sound and to my ears, it doesn't sound 'normal'! Oh well! Thanks for the responses!