LOL My teacher doesn't know who James Jamerson is

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Apr 30, 2002.

1. I just called up my teacher to start taking lessons again. I mentioned to him I had just bought STANDING IN THE SHADOWS... the James Jamerson book. And he was like, "Who's he?"

Okay, before you tell me not to take lessons from him....let me tell you he is a musician. Not a bassist. In fact, he never plays bass on a gig. He's a guitarist first. But he seems to plays bass very well, but he also plays guitar and many other instruments. That is why I go to him so I can switch back and forth from guitar to bass. He spent three years studying at Berkeley and is a music teacher in a school.

But isn't that something? He's been giving lessons for 30 years and never heard of James Jamerson.
  2. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    Is knowing who James Jamerson is a qualification for teaching?

just clowning...

If the guy went to Berklee and he is a great musician then i dont see how it could hurt. Musicianship is just as important as learning to play triplets and double thump, if not more important.
  3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    As a bassist, it's better that YOU know who Jamerson is, better still if you can emulate his groove-ability within the other stuff you may pick up along the way! :)
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This man should be shot.
  5. this man has brought me shame for being a Rhode Island citizin, or however the hell you spell it
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    That's letting him off easy...

Man... He is only the most popular bass player around... (well, he's played more hits than anyone, right?)
  7. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    for shame..
  8. Good Lawd! Even I know the name of James Jamerson.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Way back when, people only knew Jamerson as 'the guy who plays for Motown/Tamla".
    So, I'm curious-
    ...has your teacher ever heard of Motown?
    Or Stax or Muscle Shoals?

Is he into R&B at all?!
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Uh, that would be Carol Kaye, right?

11. LOL! :D

Well, you have a point there. Hell, I know who Jamerson is.
  12. Hey - recently I came across this chap who didn't know who Ray Brown was - strange old world eh?

- Wil
  13. Has he heard of Fieldy? :D
  14. I don't know who Ray Brown is. I only recently heard the name of Jamerson and a few others whose names are mentioned here a lot. Does it mean I don't play well? Does it mean I'd be a poor teacher?
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I dunno.

Maybe it's me...
    If I were teaching saxophone, I would make sure I was up on Lester, Bird, Sonny, Wayne, 'Trane, Ornette, etc.

Louis, Diz, Fats, Clifford, Miles, etc

There's a lot to learn form the early pioneers; they've already figured out the 'hard' stuff for us. ;)

BTW, I see you're a Berry Oakley fan? Thought I read somewhere he was into Jamerson...

...and you're band is called Manhatten Project?
    There was a Jazz/Fusion band by that name about 10 years ago or so(I have their one disc; Stanley Clarke was the bassist)... ;)
  16. I dunno Jim, they must've printed at least 2 copies 'cause I've got one too! :)
  17. I hear ya. I just think it doesn't mean a guy's a zero if he hasn't heard of someone.

I agree.

I don't doubt it. And so maybe I have indirectly, unknowingly learned from the guy. Probably many others as well. I've just never thought it was all that important to learn the names of everybody's playing I've liked and learned from.

Damn. One of the guitar players did some research to see if the name was in use. He didn't find anything but I guess he didn't look hard enough. It fits us as we practice in a town called Manhattan. We were going to do up a logo with a mushroom cloud and everything...
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I did a search at & Tower Records & CD Now...
    I didn't see The Manhatten Project's disc anywhere.
    So, I pulled it outta my rack-
    Here's the personnel:
    Wayne Shorter-Sax
    Michel Petrucciani-Piano
    Stanley Clarke-Bass
    Lenny White-Drums
    Gil Goldstein & Pete Levin-Keyboards

It was released in 1990 on Blue Note Records.
    I had totally forgotten about Wayne Shorter playing on this project. Looking at the tunes...damn, there's "Dania", the swingin' Jaco tune that his Word Of Mouth band typically opened their shows with...
    Hmmm, listening to it now-
    It's a blistering ACOUSTIC version(Clarke is ripping it up!); Shorter sounds great...I coud live without some of the synths(that is, the schmaltzy strings. The chording is sat) ;)
    Damn, I'm psyched! X-Man check it out!