Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Looks like the last Phish tour is putting the hurt on everybody else...or maybe Perry needs to get some better bands?

Citing poor ticket sales across the board, Lollapalooza has cancelled its 2004 summer tour. Despite a lower ticket price and two-day format, Lollapalooza’s brand name proved unbankable for the second year in a row, leading to this morning’s surprising announcement. Fans who have already purchased tickets will receive a full refund.
    Initially, this summer’s Lollapalooza looked to be the traveling festival’s most adventurous outing since the alternative era. Spreading its wings out over two days, the 13-year-old festival featured its most eclectic lineup yet, including Wilco, Morrissey, Polyphonic Spree, Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey and the Flaming Lips. Blending jam acts such as String Cheese Incident, Spearhead and STS9 into the festival’s grassroots-styled second day, Lollapalooza also reached out to a generation of fans too young to attend the original incarnation of Perry Farrell’s traveling festival.

"It's too bad--we were really encouraged by Perry's vision from the festival," String Cheese Incident bassist Keith Moseley says. "We were also really excited about his involvement with HeadCount, Amnesty International and Solar Village--all that was going on besides the music."

Perry Farrell, tour organizer, commented on the Lollapalooza website, "My heart aches along with the bands, and all of our employees, whose hard work developed one of the most exciting and important tours that this nation was to see. My heart is broken."

Farrell also had to cancel his Madison Square Garden New Year’s Eve performance with Jane’s Addiction after ticket sales proved sluggish.

Alex Hodges, Executive Vice President of HOB Concerts, commented, "In real terms, it's been a tough summer. Ticket sales have been mixed and often inexplicably soft. There are a number of contributing factors, and, as a result, many tours have been cut back, rerouted or cancelled."

"We were such supporters of the vision that Perry had for this festival," says Madison House Publicity's Carrie Lombardi. "But the String Cheese show must go on. We will be booking a complete String Cheese summer tour." Though tour logistics had not been worked out at press time, Lombardi says, "certainly there are a lot of great artists looking for something to do now."

Though this summer’s concert season has seen sluggish ticket sales, jam-branded gatherings such as Bonnaroo and Phish’s Coventry Festival both reached capacity. Many hoped that Lollapalooza would age into a traveling version of these multi-day summits. Lollapalooza seemed to cement a blossoming relationship between Jam Nation and a legion of independent rock bands flourishing outside of the mainstream.

In his Relix feature, rock critic Richard Gehr tracked this blending of genres. Writes Gehr, “Festivals like Bonnaroo and the odd-coupling Jammy Awards showed there was a market for the many vital live acts flourishing outside the mainstream.” At Lollapalooza’s Colorado stop, Farrell had already announced that he’d join String Cheese Incident for a series of Jane’s Addiction live staples.

"We had enough of a connection with Perry that something will happen," Moseley says. "The band's been rehearsing some of the Jane's songs. I am sure that is an idea that will happen at some point."

"Though obviously we've got some egg on our face--since we put the tour on our current cover--I also wonder if the organizers weren't a little premature in pulling the plug," says Relix editor-in-chief Aeve Baldwin. "Bonnaroo was able to sell 90,000 tickets on the strength of its eclectic lineup--clearly, people are hungry for this kind of music and anyone who saw the Jammys this year can attest to what a great show the Perry Farrell Incident is. On the other hand,” she concludes, “maybe now we know what the saturation point is."
  2. they shouldn't have mixed it with the jam band scene. big mistake.

but, there aren't enough "alternative" bands out there making it big to support the tour. the line up looked like a bunch of people past their prime to me.
  3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    hehe - the only bands I'd want to see from that list are the Flaming Lips and Sound Tribe Sector 9 (both pretty much jam friendly bands).
  4. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    ::insert expletive here::

nooooo...... must have flaming lips fix...
  5. should have just cut the number of bands and done it as a oneday thing
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    No Pixies and Sonic Youth?

7. Agreed.
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was ready to make the trip from Fl to NYC to go see them alone.
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, the mixing was a bad idea. But the main lineup was just weak! There's SOME good stuff in there, but not enough to sustain a 2-day show! Alternative is not what it used to be. It's all about the warped tour right now. Lollapalooza is slowly dying.
  10. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    One factor, I think I read on CNN or somewhere, was that a lot of the artists (Morrissey, Sonic Youth, Pixies, etc) appealed to an older crowd who aren't as willing to spend the whole day out in the sun in a huge crowd.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im 19 and my 2 friends who are 19 and 20 were going to go.

Im pretty sure my ex girlfriend and her friends (17 & 18) were going too.

These are people from Miami FL willing to go to NYC we're talking about. Im sure more local fans would have gone too.
  12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I am shocked and saddened by this turn of events, I wasn't personally going to go to Lollapalooza because it conflicted with my schedule and I wasn't that willing to drive all the way to New Bedford. Still, I think this year had one of Lollapalooza's best lineups since the tour started. It really is a shame.

I doubt that, though Morrissey, Wilco and Sonic Youth do appeal more to the "aging Gen X" demographic, they still have a large (perhaps, even larger) following of young college-age fans. In addition, Modest Mouse, Flaming Lips, Basement Jaxx, TV on the Radio and Le Tigre are all wonderful bands that have a sizable following (TV on the Radio has sold out multiple club dates, especially in NYC).

If I had to think of a reason for the poor ticket sales, I suppose I would equate it with Lollapalooza being seen as a joke or past its prime. A product of the 'grunge' era. It has carried a stigmata, I think, since it basically floundered out around the late 90's. Also, the current mood of the 'alternative' rock scene is not really that conducive towards festivals...its hard to pose when you're baking in the sun because you wore jeans and a vintage jacket on a 90 degree day.
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The impact of this is pretty severe. Almost all the acts slated for Lollapalooza have new CDs out and now they are left with no summer tour dates to promote them. For those of you who gig, imagine having a couple months of your dates vaporize overnight :eek: Not to mention whatever money they have already spent in tour preparations is down the tubes.

I've seen some articles indicating that ticket sales are soft all the way around this summer even with traditionally strong draws like the Dead. Ticket prices are continuing to rise and the big sheds here in MA are booking mostly boomer acts...Aerosmith, Sting, Clapton, Rod Stewart, Chicago, Kiss, Rush, Allmans...who draw, well, boomers.
  14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

It's not just the bands who will suffer. The roadies, truck drivers, caterers, sound, and stage techs, lighting techs, etc...all the personnel who travel with these mega-tours doing the anonymous background work will lose out too, maybe too late to catch other tours.

All the local workers hired by the unions just for the show will lose that work. All the folks who sell food and souveniers at the tour, all the T-shirts and hats and stickers, etc that won't be sold, ending another revenue stream to the bands, all the security, all the ushers, the venues that would have received fees for their use. The list of "losers" just goes on and on.

My son worked his way through college as a stagehand and did rigging and some lighting for many shows. I know how much such work means to these invisible folks during big tours. When a big tour shuts down even before it starts, everyone from the band to the guy who takes tickets at the gate loses out...not even mentioning the disappointment to the fans.
  15. Wanna know why nobody bought tickets?

16. The thing about ticket sales dwindling everywhere is pretty true. Ozzfest isn't seeing very good sales, either. Neither is Madonna, or Prince. Phish is, though. They are making a killing. And, Bonnaroo outsold. So, who knows?
  17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

The Flaming Lips are the only band I would want to see.

Huge concerts seem to be becoming a thing of the past in all genres. Ever see 80's live concert videos, those shows were full to capacity. 15000-20000 people in one place to see one or two bands. I went to Summer Sanitarium and that show featured five "huge name" acts, and it probably had 8000 people, tops. The floor wasn't even full.

I think huge one or two events will continue to get bigger. Shows like 311 Day, or Bonnaroo.
  18. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    More like all but 4 or 5.

And, the line-up was really spotty, some of the major names like the pixies and PJ Harvey weren't at all the dates. I think the pixies were just NY.

But it was worth it to me just to see the flaming lips for 35 bucks. Even though the Seattle/Auburn date had a meager line-up, I was still absolutely happy with Mike Watt, the lips and modest mouse. And Basement Jaxx I would have liked to see.