Lollar 5 String Jazz Bass Pickups in Lakland 55-01?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Progfan44, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Hello Friends.

I wanna replace the poopy stock barts in my Lakland Skyline 55-01 with some jazz pickups. I understand there will be a hole in the cavity the plastic from the soapbars would normally fill in but that's not a big deal for me (figure it'll add some mojo). I'm just wondering if the string spacing will be an issue. I guess the string spacing at the bridge is .75" according to Lakland's website, but I'm not seeing anything on Lollar's website about what they're compatible with. Thanks in advance y'all!

2. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    The preamp is the week link in the 5501 but the MK1 pickups won't give you a jazz tone
    Nordstrand big singles or DC in single coil mode should fit nicely.
    Not sure about lollar string spacing. You could always email them.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Just to clarify, the pickups in the 5501 are not Barts at all, they are G&B. They have nothing in common with Barts...just don't want you judging Bart pickups by those :)

And yeah, if you want single coils you want Nordy's. Big Splits or Big Singles. I had Big Splits in mine and they are phenomenal.

4. +100 on the preamp. I took the it out about a year ago and added passive tone knobs and the bass sounds way way better, even with the mediocre mk1s.

5. Huh, it says bartolini on the plastic covers, i guess it was a collab thing? I've had nordys in other basses and they sound great, i just really wanna go for the vintage fender thing. I found the nords to be pretty hot and modern, which is good in it's own right but not really what I'm after right now. I don't really mind having some of the cavity exposed from putting straight jazz pickups in either.

6. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    They are bartolini licensed pickups. Made in a different country by a different company and bartolini prob gets a few bucks for having their name on them... possibly had something to do with the design process also

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021