1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lollar - Klein - Novak

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrkode, May 17, 2011.

1. mrkode

mrkode

Dec 19, 2007
    Montreal
    Anyone had the opportunity to compare these to a real set of 60's vintage Fender pups in a P-Bass?

What are the tonal differences between them? Which one comes the closest to a real vintage pup and not trying to be modern with a vintage taste? What has been your experience in dealing with each winder?

Sound samples would be appreciated if available.

Thanks!

Mark

2. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't have much to add, but I have talked to Curtis Novak about winding me a Mudbucker, which I'll have on the way soon. He can wind anything you want, and can easily do a vintage replica (that's how I'm going to have my mudbucker done).

3. mrkode

mrkode

Dec 19, 2007
    Montreal
    Been exchanging a couple of emails with him. Seems very down to earth. But I still don't know how his pickups compare to the two other winders.

I don't want to know if one is better then the other. Just what tonal characteristics each one has.

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I have a Chris Klein in my p-bass with TI flats and it's old school heaven.

Contrapuntal likes this.
  5. mrkode

mrkode

Dec 19, 2007
    Montreal
    Well seems I'll have to find out for myself.

Ordered a set from Curtis Novak. And will maybe order from Klein just for the comparison sake even if I'm satisfied with the Novaks. My luthier already has some Lollars so if the guys at the shop are in the mood, we might run some tests.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

6. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I have a set of Lollars on my CAR J. Vintage vibe big time.

7. dubnyk

dubnyk Banned

Dec 30, 2010
    Michigan
    Any update on the comparison tests? I'm curious myself about the results and have been strongly considering ordering something from Novak for a P I'm building.

8. Any news?