1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lollar Mustang Bass pickups — low output?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brennanmcnally, Apr 13, 2019.

1. So I picked up a Justin Meldal-Johnsen Mustang Bass that has a Lollar pickup installed. I have the original Seymour Duncan that came in the bass, though I haven’t swapped it in to try it. The Lollar is suuuuuper low output, though. It’s rated at 8.5k vs. the original’s 10.5k, but the actual perceived output of this bass is super low — I’d say it’s about half any other instrument I have right now.

Anyone else have this experience with the Lollar Mustang Bass pickup? I’m tempted to swap in the SD to see if that’s the issue. I have to turn up the amp so much to compensate. I have guitars with pickups around the 8.5k range or lower, and the output on the bass is so much lower than those. Kinda bumming me out, because I love everything else about the JMJ but just want the output to be normal. Normally love Lollar pickups, but the output is just soooooo low on this one.

2. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    Did you have any success with getting more output from the Lollar pickup? Maybe raise it closer to the strings, or contact Jason and ask him about it.

3. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    DC resistance is no proxy for a pickup's output unless you know the gauge of wire used and the size and type of magnets used as well. The DC resistance of a pickup isn't 'rated' either; you simply measure it across the start and end of the pickup's coils.

Mustang pickups are small, so I would expect them to have a low output. If the output is suspiciously low then I would expect that the pickup either has an open coil (which will make it read infinity ohms on your meter) or some wiring is messed up downwind of the pickup. Fender tend to wrap bare wires around the lugs on potentiometers and jacks, so rewiring a Fender instrument while keeping the factory components can be messy and introduces the risk of short circuits depending on how cleanly you remove the stock pickups, etc.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021