1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

lollar vs. fralin

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stubsmagee, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Lollar

58 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Fralin

58 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. stubsmagee

stubsmagee

Oct 4, 2009
    i'm looking for a decently hot p and j pickup and am using SD quarter pounders in the p and j position but i'm not getting a whole bunch of output or low end. i know i want either lollar or fralin but can't decide which... any suggestions?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Pretty subjective. I have Lollars loaded in my Nash J, and have never been happier. I get booming lows, and crisp highs. They are super hot, second only to my SB-2 MFDs. I don't have to touch my amp, as I get all the response I need from the tone knob on the bass. I'm sure some Fralin guys will have just as many positives.

3. You might be better off just giving either guy a call. Chances are they will answer the phone and give you some help.

4. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    They're both capable of doing what you ask. I'd call and talk to both of them and see what you think.

5. dorfmeister

dorfmeister

Apr 3, 2008
    I've got Lollar Blondes in a strat and they are great pickups. Never tried Lollars bass pups or the Fralins but from my experience with the Blondes I would be highly confident in the skills of Mr. Lollar.

6. stubsmagee

stubsmagee

Oct 4, 2009
    my cousin uses blondes in one strat and black faces in neck and middle with lollar special in the bridge on another strat. he uses a fargen modified super champ xd. the combo is freaking unbelievable. but i've yet to hear either fralins or lollars in a bass as well.

7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I'd expect that either one can wind you what you want. I had Fralin wind a P pickup slightly hot. ...turned out great! I've no experience with Lollar.

8. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Also curious what people think on the P-bass side. I bought a new set of Lollars to check out in my '72 P. I am not sure it will be all that different. Then this morning I saw a set of Fralins on TB, and it looks like I will be buying those too, and A/B/C them with the stock P pups and the Lollars.

9. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Stock Fralins are made to sound like old Fender type pickups. They absolutely nail it, no question. That being said, Mr. Fralin can over and underwind pickups for you, several times even if you wish...he is quite nice about it. I have 10% overwound J pickups, and they are everything I ever hoped for. Each single coil sounds like a Stingray pickup, lol. Beautiful, thick, palpable tone while maintaining J characteristics, AND they are humcancelling.

10. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    You're using SD QPs and "not getting a whole bunch of output or low end"?

Something seems to be very wrong!

On the other hand I use a Lollar JB set and L-O-V-E it, but if you're expecting much more output than QPs you're gonna be very disappointed. Unless you order an over wounded custom set.

11. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    In my experience going for 'hot' - in a given form factor - like the J or P housing - generally doesn't sound great. No real low end - lot's of boomy mid's when you hear them in a revealing setting. A good vintage style P should be able to do dub all on it's own... Either Lollar or Fralin, or Aero or Vintage Vibe can give you that. Having had all those, and several others as well - my personal choice is Vintage Vibe.

I get the feeling that 'hot' replacement pickups are designed to sound impressive in under-equipped combos ... Put it through a higher end rig and the flaws kinda jump out...

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  13. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    just got a set of Lollars and Fralins. Recorded both. I'll post the results here soon...

14. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Hi all,
    I did manage to record both the Fralins and Lollars, both direct into my very cheap Behringer mini-mixer, with all levels set at 12:00 and equal settings for both, tone knob on the bass turned all the way up. I used my Zoom H2 direct-in for recordeing.

I don't have a way to post, but for anyone who is curious, PM me your e-mail address and I'll upload them to sendspace for your downloading pleasure. If you line them both up on Audacity, you can see the output difference. You can also hear that they both sound really nice overall.

It seemed to me, and I am no audiophile nor am I a tech wiz, that the Fralins had slightly higher output. That, and the great price I got on the Fralins, were the reasons I ultimately went with the Fralins.

Also, I have some live recordings I did with the P pups and with the Fralins. All settings were the same, but I recorded with the mic and the venue was different, so that affected the sound somewhat. Plus I raised the action a little at the bridge, so there is less clackity clack with the Fralins. But that notwithstanding, I think the Fralins still have a more full rich sound.

Both the Lollars and Fralins had far better build quality than the original Fenders. The Fender solder points were literally falling apart. I had to re-solder a joint after the wire came undone from the pup. The Fralins and Lollars both had very nicely soldered joints.

15. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Here is the link to download the WAV files I recorded. The size is large, but WAV is higher quality than MP3. I'll send along MP3's for those that prefer the smaller file size.

The link is good for 30 days, so let me know if want the files after 30 days from today.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zs282e

16. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Oct 5, 2007
    Portugal
    Thanks for taking the time bassman, I personally was very curious to hear these.

17. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    No problem. I am curious to hear people's reactions. Can you tell the difference?

18. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Sounds like your pickups are out of phase. They are very loud and bassy pickups. Do they sound better if you turn one of them down?

You need to reverse the hot and ground on one of them.

ImprecisionBass likes this.
  19. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have the Dimarzio P Bass pickups in my Nash P Bass...thats what the bass came equipped with. They are hotter than the Fralins on my Glaub...I tested this with an engineer... they are great pickups..Dont know about the Lollars... DP

20. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Here is a link to a slide show video I just made, from Friday night this past weekend. This song features a lot of bass in a quiet band setting, so you can hear nicely how the Fralins sound. Of course, Youtube really compresses the audio...

Angel Eyes