Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

London Bass Centre Moving and Changing Name!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Some of us discovered last night that the Bass Centre in Wapping has finally succumbed to the developers' pressure to build more luxury flats in Docklands!! :rolleyes:

So I thought it might be useful to let all UK bassists know that after December, a trip to Wapping will be wasted - unless you have the odd million to spend on a luxury flat!

From January they are moving to Brune Street in London E1 7NH - near Liverpool St. Station and will be part of "House of Guitars" ! :(

I don't know whether this will be better or worse - closer to the centre and travel links - Wapping was a fair way out - but it was always nice to go to somewhere that was just about basses - hopefully they will have a special section where we don't need to hear howling feedback, distorted guitars!! ;)

Wondered what other regular visitors think about this?

2. I only ever got up to the Bass Centre once, but I thought the vibe was quite mellow. They were very laid back about me trying stuff and all that. Possibly since only bass players would ever know that they were there... The Gallery is even more so. I hope they don't get more antsy pantsy when in Central London.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes it's always a possibility that they will get more time-wasters centrally and will become less relaxed about allowing unlimited time for trying stuff out - but presumably it will be the same staff - so they will try to keep it the same.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'll try to remember to post the first time I try to go up and visit the Bass Centre in Wapping after January and find it gone ....

Here's hoping that it works out well for them, and that the move doesn't prove to be a major setback to either their business or business practices.

Wulf

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for letting us know this Bruce. I've never been to the Wapping Bass Centre before. I think I'll have to make a trip down before Christmas - just in case it turns into one of those Denmark Street shops!

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Go for it, David. Even if the Bass Centre goes onto better things (and that would be great, for them and us), it's your last chance to catch this little bit of history.

Wulf

7. Hey UK TB-ers, any word on whether the Bass Centre is back open for business at its new premises? I'm up in Londres for the weekend 31 Jan - 2 Feb and thought I might call by.

M

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I rang them on 17 Jan and was told that they'd be at their old premises for a further 6 weeks or so, due to 'building delays'. It might be worth giving them a buzz before you set off (020 7265 1567) but I'm pretty confident that you'll still find them in Wapping next weekend.

Wulf

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    bump