Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

London bass shops

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Sep 1, 2003.

1. I'll be in London for the next few days. After finding an Alexander teacher, I want to see some basses and luthiers.
    Any recommendations?

2. At least I found an Alexander teacher.

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
  4. The Contrabass Shoppe's website is certainly impressive. (www.contrabass.co.uk) I haven't been there, but I'd make a point of going there if I was going to be in the neighbourhood.

5. Don,

If you do make it to a London bass shop, do make an effort not to stand out. Be sure to remember handy phrases such as, "'Scuse me, guvner, wot might be the age o' this 'ere one?," or " "By Jove, that's a jolly good bass, I daresay."

You're welcome.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Where is that place? I can't believe I went through the whole website and nowhere does it say where they are based or how to get there!! :mad:

I work in London and have wandered around as much of central London as I can, over the last 10 - 15 years - looking for good record shops - Jazz etc. :)

I also love browsing music shops, but as far as I'm aware,

http://www.double-bass.org/shops.html

there are no real Double Bass shops in London - I wish there were!! Although there are a few good BG places which have EUBs...;)

So there is Footes in Golden Square in Soho, which I have visited in person :

http://www.footesmusic.com/

But this was very disappointing - small and they just had a couple of cheap DBs which sounded horrible to me. :(

I spent about a year looking for DBs and phoned just about every phone number I could find within hundreds of miles. Mostly, I found people who would have a few basses in their house and lived miles away - it would have taken 4 or 5 hours to get there with no guarantees.

I also contacted several music shops who advertised that they sold DBs and I would ask what DBs they had in stock....ahhh well, we don't have any at the moment, but we could order you one and get it set up for a good price!! :mad:

7. Bruce Lindfield

Nope - none there really - apart from the one mentioned above that doesn't say where it is!! :mad:

And this one :

http://www.krattenmacher.co.uk/

7 Sinclair Rd
    West Kensington
    London
    W14 0NS
    UK
    (By appointment only, please)

From the address, I presume this is a private residence rather than a 'shop', as such, but the instruments do look impressive. Even when photographed in the street outside!! ;)

8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Now why couldn't I find that! ? :confused:

But even so - it doesn't give an address - just :

"Southwark station (on the Jubilee line) is situated only 270 meters away."

I have never got out at that station which may explain why I have never seen the shop - but it also says it is near the South Bank - which is a good place to visit - they have great concerts and free Jazz gigs in the foyer bar of the Festival Hall, which are of a very high standard! ** :)

As to getting there safely - I'm not so sure - it all looks rather out of my depth...and my pocket!!

I would be happy to stand a few feet away from Don and listen, if he was trying instruments though! ;)

** Free Jazz this Friday :

Free Event 5:15 pm Main Foyer Music
    Matt Wates Sextet
    Series: Commuter Jazz

Alto-led contemporary West Coast style jazz.

http://www.rfh.org.uk/main/events/95326.html?section=free&file=index&month=0&week=0

I have heard them and they are great - Canadian Sax player and teh best of UK talent - including a DB'er who writes for Double Bassist magazine! :)