London or Paris

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ben Rose, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Hypothetical situation (well mostly hypothetical):

If you had a job lined up, and could live in either London or Paris, which would you choose and why?

Can you be a gigging musician (EB & DB) in either city without a car? What are the music scenes like in each city?
  2. No idea about the music scene. But I'd take Paris. Even if I had to learn French. Weather is so much nicer, I love the vibe in Paris. The food is awesome. There's the Paris Friday Night Skate, 10,000-15,000 people.

3. After I had been to both, I'll say Paris!
    Because of weather, food and Beauty of the city!

London is very good too, but Paris has something more to me.....
    Concerning music, I'll say deuce...

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    There is a big part of me that is leaning towards Paris. I have been to both cities, but not for more than a day in each, so I don't think that really counts. I looked up some data and was suprised to find that Paris ranks lower than London on a list of the world's most expensive cities.
  5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Paris has camembert and pain au chocolat. :cool:

6. london... for language reasons

7. Same.

Some people have the propensity to learn other languages. I don't - but I do handle my own quite well.
  8. i would rather live in london
  9. Paris! I've had 4 years of French, I figure in an immersion situation I'd pick it up pretty quickly. Besides, all the hip expatriate writers lived there.
  10. I was in france for 2 weeks. To prepare, I studied one of those french language CD's INTENSIVELY on the way back and forth to work for almost a whole week.

I got along pretty good. Except for one time I told someone "I'm sorry YOUR French is so bad" when I meant to say "I'm sorry MY French is so bad"....

People were very helpful, everyone (almost) spoke English if you tried to speak French first. Very friendly, even in Paris, noted (unfairly, apparently) for rude people.

Learn French etiquette first, that's crucial. Say hello on entering a store, goodbye on leaving. Excuse me, thank you, etc. (All in French, of course.).. The rest is gravy.

11. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Paris without hesitation :hyper:

I work for a French company in Suresnes, and would love the opportunity to have an assignment there for a year or two.

Definitely don't need a car in either city, unless you live a significant distance away from the city itself. Why would someone want a car and have to deal with finding parking?

12. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Paris for me, but I'm french, so... :D
  13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  14. London; My English is much better than my French.
  15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Paris. I've been to London, it didn't seem very special. I've never been to paris other than being inside the airport to transfer to another plane. But I'd choose paris, plus I know french.
  16. Paris. I've been there and I love it. Language is no problem, I speak Spanish as well so picking it up shouldn't be hard. London, for me, would be too much of the same, whereas Paris has a different culture.

General transport (i.e. non-gigging) would be fine on the Metro (provided it doesn't get blown up and all), but for gigging, I'd find a way to get to shows with a car. It's unrealistic to be taking gear on the Metro, or walking it down the streets.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Traffic in Paris is terrible and the driving is even worse - London is pretty bad for this - but at least people follow the rules of the road!!

Weather is pretty much identical between London and Paris - I have found Paris very expensive for tourists - but maybe that's because I know London much better and where/how to avoid "tourist traps"...;)

I have lived in Paris and hated the poor standards of plumbing and electrical wiring....

But the thing that would always swing it for me is :

MUSIC !!

London is the European capital for all types of music as well as theatre.

London has several top-notch symphony orchestras as well as visiting ones has the best Jazz in Europe, best small clubs and the top US stars often visit London.

And the number of venues for rock/pop bands is mind-boggling - on any night you have a huge choice of the top bands and the new rising stars will alway be in London!!

London is far and away, head and shoulders above any other European City for music, arts and culture - just in sheer amount of stuff happening as well as high standards..

Other cities may have a great heritage and history - but nowhere is it "happening now" as much as in London!!

Olympics bid - 2012 - London beat Paris in a straight fight!! :)
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

19. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    London, I've wanted to live in london since I was a kid. Of course I wouldn't pass a chance to live in paris for a while either, I think it'd be cool to get a chance to really expirience either city in the way only someone who live there can.
  20. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    This a really tough one as I love both cities. I'd go to Paris for food in heartbeat. Architecture, Paris again. Nightlife and music, Bruce Lindfield is 100% correct is his claims about London.

As for traffic, I read somewhere that the average speed on the M25 is 3 mph. Probably an exageration. Paris traffic abides by the one sole rule of the road in France: you are not allowed to have anyone in front of you, and if you can't pass, you must tailgate as close as possible.

All in all a tough choice. Very tough. Not fare.