Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LONDON - "The Best Place to Eat in the World Right Now"!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So, it wasn't me who said this .... It is U.S. magazine "Gourmet" :

[​IMG]

Their March edition is devoted to London as the best place to eat out, in the whole world! I think some of our US posters should bear this in mind, next time they make "comments" about British cusine...;)

In This Month's Issue
    March 2005

"The London Issue

LONDON A TO Z
    You are about to enter a city brimming with culinary and cultural possibilities: great gastropubs, hidden gardens, free concerts, lively markets, cool bars, and fabulous food from around the world. The journey into 21st-century Britain starts here."

Go to :

http://www.epicurious.com/gourmet/toc/

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA

I thank you guys every time I eat fish and chips. It is one of the greatest meals, ever.

3. Having just been to Thailand for two weeks and eaten extremely good food everyday for the price of a diet Coke over here, I'd say we do have a way to go in terms of fresh ingredients, vegetables etc being a lot cheaper and more affordable to the 'pikey's out there (poor folks) - BTW I'm pretty poor - but having said that I think we Brits are lucky as our national dishes are generally quite bland (but tasty) we have adopted other country's cooking and embraced it with open 'mouths' - so we're not short on great restaurants.

But the massive bonus to living somewhere as expensive and dirty as London is that there is an outrageous amount of stuff going on - and those who say there isn't just don't go out enough - I'll shut up now - I love London!

M

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, how is it that Americans are wrong about everything else in the eyes of the world, but suddenly we're 'correct' when we say that London is the best for food? :confused: If anything, it should prove that we truly don't know what the hell we're talking about. :D

5. Bruce Lindfield

It must be just this particular magazine that seems to be sensible, then!! :D

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont care what magazines say. Ive ingested the food and it was bad.

Keep in mind that US magazines also say Britney Spears is the coolest, the movie Seed of Chucky was good, and that Bat-boy is real.

7. An English friend of mine just opened a nuclear restaurant which serves radioactive food, and potatoes are the side dish with every meal.

It's called Fission Chips. :bag: :p

Mike :D

P.S. You want good food? Eat in Brooklyn! ;)

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    And Football is tougher than Rugby... :bassist:

:D

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Do you all eat crawfish in England? Collard Greens? Catfish or pulled-pork sandwiches? Fried dill pickle?

If not, it definitely wouldn't be the best for me. Or any self-respecting Southerner. :D

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Pulled pork sounds like something you confess at church.

Sure is tasty between two slices of bread though!

11. DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

And Nick wins best joke of the week! :hyper: :D

Good one, Nick. ;)

Mike :D

12. American Football might look tougher than rugby - but all those big, tough, 'manly' guys all wear body armour - unlike rugby where it often played in freezing and or wet conditions and all you get to wear is a pair of shorts, some boots and a shirt - and we do all that headbutting stuff too - without helmets...all you have to do is look at most of the Forward's faces to see what damage it does, most of them have at least half an ear missing through injury - and just for the record have you ever seen the New Zealand All Black's Jonah Lomu? He's absolutely terrifying...

But yeah - some of our food sucks - but just becasue we don't deep fry everything doesn't make it bad :D - I bet I could cook all you Yankees a great meal - just becasue our national dishes are kind of bland doesn't mean we cook them badly and or they aren't tasty - plus if you're that fussed we have just about every other nation's food represented in London - if you can't find the food you like in London - you haven't looked properly...

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

The football thing was a dig on that older thread on the same topic. Both are similar but comparing them is like comparing downhill skiing to water skiiing.

The main transferable similarity being that it is played by people with a ball. :D

Also, research the Minnesota Viking or the Green Bay Packers if you don't think football is played in cold temperatures. I have seen some ESPN classic footage of Lombardi-era Packers playing in a blizzard (like 3-4 inches of snow on the field with more falling).

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Man, that's a good joke that Gourmet magazine pulled on y'all in the UK!!!

:hyper:

Everyone knows that the best city in the world to eat in is New Orleans!

:D

Oh, and having played football & rugby, I'll admit that rugby is tougher. I'll never get near a rugby pitch again as long as I live - that game proves that the Brits are all nucking futs.

:p

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I wouldn't agrue with that, I love me some cajun food.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Not Gourmet Magazine - they're serious, there was an article about this in the Sunday Times yesterday!

I think New Orleans might have been OK for the early 20th Century - but London is the city for the 21st!! :)

17. Bruce Lindfield

This is the point made in the magazine - so London has more restaurants and more types of different cuisine than any other city now!

Of course you can find bad food in London - but it's not that hard to find a good place to eat (there are loads of websites with thousands of places reviewed)and anybody who didn't do their research, deserves what they got!! ;)

18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Head north. We deep fry pizzas and mars bars here. :scowl:

19. For breakfast? Man you guys are hardcore :)

20. Bruce Lindfield

That's why Gourmet magazine specified London and not Edinbugh,Glasgow etc . ;)