Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Long as You're Living

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Bill Brasky, Feb 20, 2002.

1. I was trying to figure out the changes to this song, and for the most part it's a simple minor blues but I can't figure out the two chords in measure 8, and if some are more complex than just minor or seventh chords. Here's what I have so far:

[Ebm] [Ebm] [Ebm] [Ebm]
    [Abm7] [Abm7] [Ebm] [Gm7(9?) - Gbm7(9?)]
    [Bbm] [Abm] [Ebm] [Ebm]

I'm going to try and pick out the melody by ear next and that will probably help me figure out if the chords I have sound right too.

If anyone would care to help check me for accuracy, I'll post an mp3 clip of the first 12 bars (only about 160 kb, so it shouldn't take too long to download even on a dialup). BTW, the recording I was listening to is Abbey Lincoln with Max Roach.

here's the song:
    RIGHT CLICK and click "save target as" (it's on geocities, so it won't work if you left click it)

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Not quite enough info there, other than to say I wish the bass player had been given another chance so as to get it a little more in tune. Here's what I think it might be

[Ebm] [Ebm] [Ebm] [Ebm]
    [Ab7(#11)] [Abm7] [Ebm] [Gm- Gbm7]
    [Bb7] [Ab7] [Ebm] [Ebm]

Whataver the one one horn is hitting for the 4-chord makes it sound like a dominant chord to me. If I heard more I could probably be more accurate.

3. Ok, I'll put in the whole tune. It's less than cd quality mp3, but definitely listenable, and only a little over 1 Mb.

Right click and save as

Thanks for the input.