1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

long bass solos (64 bars+)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ajak, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    Hello again TB!

For the summer exam we have to transcribe and play 64 bars of a solo. I'm having quite a hard time finding bass solos that are that long and don't require a high c-string to be played. Can you help me out on this?
    To give you an idea of the style I'm looking for: last summer I played Pedro Aznar's Solo on Insensatez (How Insensitive) and now I looked into Gary Willi's solo on It's Only Music but there's a part I'd need a high c-string for (I'm playing a 5-string in standard tuning).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does it have to have been played on bass originally? If not, there are probably a million saxophone solos, or trumpet solos, or trombone solos that would work.

3. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    John Entwistle. 5:15. Good luck :p

MasonMinor likes this.
  4. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I just transcribed this. It is pretty tough and has all the criteria you are searching if you enjoy very melodic jazz solos.

Manichga, JimK and trothwell like this.
  5. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    You might look at some of the Abraham Laboriel / Jazz Ministry music from the Baked Potato (search YouTube)... lots of extended bass solos there.

Dave Holland's album "Emerald Tears" is nothing but solo bass.

6. Michael4bass

Michael4bass

Aug 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    You might check out some of Jeff Berlin's CDs, he always has some long solos on them. Or if you really want a long solo, work out Chris Squire's live version of "The Fish".

Bassically, Michael

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I would think this is 64+ bars-

8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    OK.I don't know if these examples are 64 bars{ I don't count the bars when listening to a piece)
    But Gary Willis is known for doing long solos.
    And he plays a five string fretless.So no C string.

Two Tribal Tech tunes immediately come to mind.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015