Long Distance Bass Purchase Nightmare

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Mar 7, 2002.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000

The Date is Currently: 3/7/2002
    Current State: NO $ from Brandon Stroy

Let these quotes speak for itself.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This is NOT the place to complain about this! What is this going to accomplish? It's terrible he hasn't sent you the money, but the complaint last time didn't do anything, and it's not likely it's going to this time! It's not even posted in the right forum! I'm all for venting, but come on, this won't make him send you the money.

In his last e-mail, he's just stalling. He has $30, I guarantee. Besides, you should be a priority, because he did sell something to you, and never fully finished the deal. Just email him and tell him to send either the money or the pickups immediately, because you made a deal and he hasn't yet finished it. Complaining about it here will not get his attention.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ok, if i remember this right, you bought the bass, didnt catch in the ad that he switched the pickups to aeros, you think it sounds like poo, so he sends you the barts and you send back the aeros, correct? so, what does he owe you money for.
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    narud: installation of the pickups... he said he would pay $ for it thats why u see the post on above saying "I sent the reciept.." etc.
  5. I fail to see how this fits in this forum.:mad:

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The bass was not pictured with Aeros, the picture showed the original Bartolini pickups. There was no mention in the ad about the bass having Aero pickups. There was a second Zon pictured with Aeros, which was already sold before DM became involved.

Actually progress was made the last time DM posted here about this bass purchase from hell. Until then he was getting nowhere with the seller.

Move it to Miscellaneous. It's a reminder to anyone making a purchase that you need to make every effort to safeguard a purchase so that this kind of nonsense doesn't happen to you.
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I don't know both sides of this story, even though I've read the previous thread and this one...however...

I have seen Mr. Stroy's very nice bass pics posted. If he's in financial straits that dictate he must borrow money or sell pickups to pay for his children's medical care, and he still owns several very nice basses....well...those priorities speak for the man, don't they?

I believe, also, that I'd sell a bass to satisfy a debt before I'd allow any situation that would diminish my reputation.
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I know it may be hard to lose $30, and it may be more difficult to let someone think that they got away with something, but if I were in your place, I would just forget about the $30 and have the satisfaction of knowing that I would never have to deal with the guy again. Who knows, maybe someday $30 will show-up in the mail (yeah, right :rolleyes: ) and you can buy a set of strings or something ;)...

The aggravation you're going through doesn't seem to be worth $30 (but I know it's hard to let him off the hook :mad: ).

Chalk the $30 up to lessons learned, move on, and be happy :D ...
  9. Man, I really hope this works out for you, DM, but if what Stroy is saying is true, then it's a real serious issue. You are definitely entitled to the money for installation like he promised, but man...I can't help but feel a little sympathy for the guy. Just my opinion, of course. I still hope you get your money.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    fc, I understand where you're coming from but consider this:

Someone owes you $30 and comes on TB showing off a new single cut Elrick:

That's pretty insulting.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    -sigh-. man, dm, that sucks. you don't seem to be able to get a break on that bass, do you?

on the positive side, how's it sounding? do you like it?

i'll move this on over to miscellaneous, where it will fit in a bit better.
  12. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    yes it is a great axe but I'm in NEED of money right now (No job because of school and band and etc.) and $30 will do plenty for me right now. It's just insulting that he shows off his basses and new gear he gets and all he can gimme is BS about his Kids being sick and having no money so he's trying to sell his pickups.... I can see where you guys are coming from but look at it this way, i am the customer. Customers should be entitled to complain. and having the feeling of getting "RIPPED" Off is not the greatest feeling..

On Another note... when he wanted me to send the pickups back.. he was DESPERATE AS HELL... he kept on calling my house... (even around 11:30PM and 12:00AM waking up my parents and my family basically) asking me to send the pickups back ASAP.. I sent it out in less than a week or 2..... but 3 months for $30? Gimme a freaking break!! If he was desperate like that to get his pickups back, why can't he put himself in my shoes..

13. Jeez DM... %&$@ happens. I feel bad for you, and either this guy is a complete #*&^ or he's having a really bad time of it. I guess I'd agree with slater... let it go and move on with your life.

FWIW... I was going to buy that TE head from you, but I lost my job (after 18 years) and wound up back at school to pick up a new career. I didn't buy it 'cause I ran out of bucks... none the less some people would think I've got money because I haven't let go of my 5 string fretless. So what's my point? Forgive and forget... it's just easier.
  14. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I cannot possibly forgive this guy at all.. Yes I should forget but it's always in the back of my mind.. i've done some nasty transactions but we all agreed in the end.. this guy just never agrees.. he's only thinking of what HE wants and what I want as well..
  15. Wow. You're right. When I initially replied, I wasn't aware of all the facts. I bet that bass cost more than thirty bucks.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So did the Aggie rig in the background.
  17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why not? If dude hasn't followed up on his end of the bargain yet, maybe a li'l public humiliation will do the trick.

I thought this was settled already, DM. Didn't you call Stroy out once before on these forums? He got all defensive about his sitch (even using the "my kids are sick" story) and you had the mods erase the thread, right?

Maybe dude needs to get his kids to a doctor -- they seem to have been sick for a long, long, long time!

Good luck, Dark Mazda. You have my support!
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Boo that man! Has an Aggie and an Elrick (and formly a Zon) and he can't hack up $30 freakin bucks? Get the money on principal, if nothing else.
  19. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Thank you guys for all of your support! I'm really glad some people out there are really understand what i'm going through.

Yeah Angus, I know $30 isn't alot.. but when you have band+school and no job... $30 is quite a freaking bit of cash! Especially when your not 14-15 like you and have to pay gas $ and everything. It's a little different from your situation!

$30 can get me 3 tanks of gas! Which will last me quite a bit! Or even food... or even strings.. anything to keep my checking account (which is EXTREMELY LOW) from going down

That's just a PART of the reason why I'm complaining.... 3 months for $30 is just BS! I should put interest on it.. but no i'm not going to...

Thx for your support guys, hopefully Stroy will read this friggin post! If he has the $ to buy the Aggie and Elrick in that pic.. he should have $ for $30!!!
  20. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Let's see an Elrick and an Aquilar rig, damn! What is up with the $30! I'd continue to press for cash just for the principle of the thing. That ain't right.