Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Long Hair and Employment

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ADbassman, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Recently I've been applying at a number of places in hopes of getting a job to play for this very expensive hobby of mine called bass. Everywhere I go, it seems nobody wants to hire a kid my age (17) who has long hair. My hair is a little bit past my shoulders. It is well keept and actually looks very good on me, although this is apparently not the face that they want representing their business. The more I apply at places, the more I realize nobody wants to hire me.

I just don't understand why I should have to cut my hair and change myself just to get a job. To me, this is a form of discrimination. If girls have an equal oppertunity of getting hired at the same place, and they have long hair, why shouldn't I be given a chance, because obvouisly it isn't a health hazard. I guess its just outside of the accepting norm to see a guy on the other side of counter with long hair.

I'm a perfectly good, hard worker. I can do the job just as well, if not better than half the idiots they have working for them anyway. I think people should be able to see beyond the stereotypes and just see a person for who they are when they are looking to employ someone.

Has anybody else had problems with this?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    See? You're smarter than you think. You just have to put things in the right order.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Try a job where they don't care what you look like?

-Mike

4. yeah, get a job in the IT biz, a large percentage of the other computer science students i know have long hair and they have jobs (just as i do)

5. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I think radio is calling your name.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    First off, you're 17 and that alone makes getting a job difficult.

Where are you applying? Try skate shops and guitar stores. Maybe clothing stores for young people. Go for places where the customers might be long heaired teenagers.

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    YES. Long hair will make getting a job more difficult.

NO. It is not fair.

NO. You will not get anywhere trying to call it discrimination.

YES. There are still many jobs you can find.

YES. Most of them are not good jobs.

Try Wal*Mart.

8. Have you ever thought of this?

Maybe it's not just your hair?

What sorts of jobs are you going for...are you entirely suited to them?

9. 1.) cut your hair for the interview
    2.) grow your hair back after gettin the job
    3.) repeat step one if its time for a new job/promotion

10. It was George Thorogood's song "Get a haircut and get a real job" that ruined it for all of us.

But seriously, the discrimination of age, sex, sexual preference, color, weight, hairstyle/length, and body decorations (tattoos / piercings) is alive and well here in Spokane. It is rediculous. Why does everyone need to look / act exactly alike to be considered "employable?"

What year is this, 1950 or 2004? :rolleyes:

11. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'm in your same situation. I've applied at over 15 locations none of which will hire me. Its pretty lame but I'm working on getting a job.

12. When I got my first(and current)job I had shoulder length hair at the time.

And they hired me. Although I dishwash in a restaurant...but I prep cook sometimes now, so it's all good. $8 an hour, and they couldn't give two s***s what I look like.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    And the sign said 'Long-haired freaky people need not apply.'

brad cook

14. Good idea, except that would take me about 2 years.

Thats exactly my point. Some people don't understand just how long it takes people to grow out their hair. To ask somebody to cut their hair to get a job is like telling somebody to kill a part of themselves. Everybody has their own unique style and identity, and my hair is part of mine. Why should I have to chop off 2 years of commitment for a job that probably won't even last that long?

Being 17, I know my opinions are kinda limited as far as a job market, but that doesn't mean I should just go with the flow and get a crew cut to get a job. I know my discrimination arguement won't get me anywhere, and thats a real shame. They'll assume I'm some teenager whos always tweeked on drugs, so then they go and hire the guy who actually is, but I guess that doesn't matter because he has short hair. I'm sure companies love to have addicts representing their business.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Where are you applying?

Thats the key thing.

I brought up the fact that you could get a job that wants people who look like you and Bryan brought up the fact that if you are washing dishes in the backroom no one is going to care how you look.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    LiquidMidnight's Guide to Job Hunting

1. Most businesses have a nepotistic hiring policy. Education, experience, and ability are irrelevant.

2. Make sure you have a relative working at the company.

3. If you don't have a relative working at the company, go to the court house and get your last name changed.

4. I know what your saying: "Man, why can't I even get a crappy job? I have a doctrate degree." Refer to rule #1.

God, I'm a cynical prick. :D

17. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    LMFAO.....Oh man this is funny. It's kind of like the whole been there done that and have the shirt to prove it kind of thing. I'm thirty one now and I had the same problem as you are having now.

I think it's funny how you can cut your hair, then get a job, let it grow back out and no one really cares as long as your working.

I also find it weird that when your younger and have long hair it seems like everbody hassles ya. When you get older nobody says anything. well except the wife.."You need a hair cut it looks all scragaly"

Anyway, Good Luck

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    HAHAHA...whew...I remember when I was a teenager. :smug:

brad cook

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    what's more important, long hair or a job?

i had to cut my long ass hippie hair for a gig at the District Attorney's office....those were my priorities....what are yours?

i'm no longer a teenie bopper, so now to this day i have grown up (not much :D ) - food on the table is more important to me these days.

BUT.... i have seemed to get away with having both ears pierced and wearing both earrings with suits! tee hee

:)

20. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    It's just hair. It's not like it cost you any effort over that time.

It's just hair. Set your priorities. If looking good is more important to you than being employed, that's cool. You're 17. But don't whine about how unfair it is.

Also, with your hair long, find a job somewhere. Crappiest job in the world, it doesn't matter. Work it for two years, and be awesome at it, and in your next job interview, your long hair will be much more likely to be overlooked, since you were so good at your last job.