1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

*long, heavy sigh of relief*

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, at about 4am, I was struck with the idea...hey, I should make a website! It'd been something I'd been toying with for a while, and a friend of mine had made one to achieve something similar to what I wanted to do (basically, self-promotion).

After almost six hours, I finally managed to make a prototype of the site. Hosted on tripod and using one of their templates, it took a long time to even get it to look half-decent. I did a bit of an HTML tutorial, and then went to town in Paintshop Pro, Adobe, and the tripod web-editor. I also managed to get a .tk for it too. I still need to put in a news section, and I'm writing up a thing on DIY setups in Word Perfect that I'm going to put on the site too.

So far, it has a music bio, a section for putting up recordings (as of now and for the near future, it's just a description of my playing style), a section for write-ups on local muscians, a gear page, a links page, and a contact page. Each page has some degree of content, because nothing would seem more lame than putting up a bunch of sections that said "Coming soon!". I'm going to go to bed soon, and when I wake up, I'm going to put down a couple more people in the local musicians section (2 more teachers, and a few muso's that've left town).

2. Nice!

What's your address? Can I link you?

Mine's in my sig, if you're interested in seeing it. I made it using GeoCities (which is an obvious thing to say once you've seen it :D ) and I'm really proud of it. :smug:

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I refuse to become a "dot.com".

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, I made a couple sites too, and I still don't know a thing about HTML! Gotta love MS Frontpage! :D

PS here's my personal site.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    www.govithoy.tk

Slava: That Bass Corner section is really, really cool. Good job!
    steph: Very cool. Sims section = awesome. Especially the downloadable houses and the Prince of Persia skin.

EDIT: By the by, 10 points to anyone who recognizes their bass in my picture thingies at the top of each page.

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I love writing HTML. I just open up notepad and code away when I'm bored. I've made some pretty nice sites too. Here's a site I'm working on. No content yet it's just the layout but I think it turned out nice.

7. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Thanks! I was hoping it would be helpful to fellow bass players.

And your site looks really nice BTW. Very classy and elegant. :cool:

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

page doesn't render in Netscape 7.2

I love coding pages... I use http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ exclusively these days.

http://www.hartsafire.com is my personal site. I coded it first in 98/99... I think I want to do a redesign, I'm tired of seeing it

[edit] got it to view... musta been the ad before. is it the yamaha from your gear page?[/edit]

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

I actually like your site a lot. The colors go very well together, and it just looks great overall.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

Thanks, but 5 or 6 years of looking at it makes me think I need a change. :bassist:

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's a shame it doesn't show up in Netscape, James, your '51 style Benavente is on the site :D. Do you know what I could do to make it visible for Netscape?

Oh, and I agree with Slava -- the colours do go together quite nicely.

I put up another section -- go to Projects, and you'll find links to a DIY article for basic setup, reviews on strings (soon to be additional gear), and a link to my band. More pages there when I start school and get some info on the school bands to put up.

You certainly can link me! :) I'll make sure to return the favour, as well as putting Slava in mine too (the bass instruction thing = awesome).

I also just added a few more musicians to the "Local Music" section.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I edited my post... I got to your site. The first time I think it was your free host's banner ad that chiked it. The site looks good. (I like my bass... I missed it the first view)

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Awesome! Good to know. Unfortunately...you don't get the points, since I told you. *shakes head*

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I guessed the Yamaha from the first page
    :eyebrow: