Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*long, heavy sigh of relief*

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, at about 4am, I was struck with the idea...hey, I should make a website! It'd been something I'd been toying with for a while, and a friend of mine had made one to achieve something similar to what I wanted to do (basically, self-promotion).

After almost six hours, I finally managed to make a prototype of the site. Hosted on tripod and using one of their templates, it took a long time to even get it to look half-decent. I did a bit of an HTML tutorial, and then went to town in Paintshop Pro, Adobe, and the tripod web-editor. I also managed to get a .tk for it too. I still need to put in a news section, and I'm writing up a thing on DIY setups in Word Perfect that I'm going to put on the site too.

So far, it has a music bio, a section for putting up recordings (as of now and for the near future, it's just a description of my playing style), a section for write-ups on local muscians, a gear page, a links page, and a contact page. Each page has some degree of content, because nothing would seem more lame than putting up a bunch of sections that said "Coming soon!". I'm going to go to bed soon, and when I wake up, I'm going to put down a couple more people in the local musicians section (2 more teachers, and a few muso's that've left town).

2. Nice!

What's your address? Can I link you?

Mine's in my sig, if you're interested in seeing it. I made it using GeoCities (which is an obvious thing to say once you've seen it :D ) and I'm really proud of it. :smug:

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I refuse to become a "dot.com".

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, I made a couple sites too, and I still don't know a thing about HTML! Gotta love MS Frontpage! :D

PS here's my personal site.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    www.govithoy.tk

Slava: That Bass Corner section is really, really cool. Good job!
    steph: Very cool. Sims section = awesome. Especially the downloadable houses and the Prince of Persia skin.

EDIT: By the by, 10 points to anyone who recognizes their bass in my picture thingies at the top of each page.

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I love writing HTML. I just open up notepad and code away when I'm bored. I've made some pretty nice sites too. Here's a site I'm working on. No content yet it's just the layout but I think it turned out nice.

7. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Thanks! I was hoping it would be helpful to fellow bass players.

And your site looks really nice BTW. Very classy and elegant. :cool:

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

page doesn't render in Netscape 7.2

I love coding pages... I use http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ exclusively these days.

http://www.hartsafire.com is my personal site. I coded it first in 98/99... I think I want to do a redesign, I'm tired of seeing it

[edit] got it to view... musta been the ad before. is it the yamaha from your gear page?[/edit]

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

I actually like your site a lot. The colors go very well together, and it just looks great overall.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

Thanks, but 5 or 6 years of looking at it makes me think I need a change. :bassist:

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's a shame it doesn't show up in Netscape, James, your '51 style Benavente is on the site :D. Do you know what I could do to make it visible for Netscape?

Oh, and I agree with Slava -- the colours do go together quite nicely.

I put up another section -- go to Projects, and you'll find links to a DIY article for basic setup, reviews on strings (soon to be additional gear), and a link to my band. More pages there when I start school and get some info on the school bands to put up.

You certainly can link me! :) I'll make sure to return the favour, as well as putting Slava in mine too (the bass instruction thing = awesome).

I also just added a few more musicians to the "Local Music" section.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I edited my post... I got to your site. The first time I think it was your free host's banner ad that chiked it. The site looks good. (I like my bass... I missed it the first view)

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Awesome! Good to know. Unfortunately...you don't get the points, since I told you. *shakes head*

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I guessed the Yamaha from the first page
    :eyebrow: