1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Long lasting nickels???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kenova, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    :help:
    Do you know any?

2. DR Sunbeams, I've had them on for at least 6 months now and I have NEVER had to boost the treble to compensate for "string death." Longest lasting nickels I've used yet.

3. Love = Zon Ultrasonic Nickels

4. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Sunbeams and Lo-Riders last for at least 6 months.

5. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    Thnx guys...
    Now I have GHS Boomers and they are ****!!! They lost their zing in less than a month!!!! I am very disapointed with them!!! :spit:

6. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    lost the zing in less then a month? depend on how often do you play, but let assume you're weekend gig player, 4 shows and at least that many rehearsals makes a good score for nickels. plus, are they just lost "the zing" or are they dead? because, personally, I love them to loose the zing. GHS boomers nickels are nice one for me...but,yes you may like Sunbeams.:bassist:

7. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    TI Powerbass. They cost quite a bit, but last longer than any other nickel string I've found.

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    My perspiration off my hands "eats" nickel. I even had to change out the nickel silver covers of a pair of Gibson humbuckers back to the chrome covers on a Les Paul I used to have. The only strings that have not deteriorated on me are GHS Progressives. They have a tad more iron in the mix, a great round tone with authority and presence, and are the only strings that will last more than one gig for me. I've used them on my Rickenbacker 4002 since the mid-90's, after trying just about every other conventional nickel plated string out there at the time.

9. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    I've been pretty religious about cleaning my strings right after playing with a gadget called The String Cleaner, and find my nickels stay alive if not zinging much longer than they had in the past. FWIW the last couple of nickel sets I used were GHS Boomers and D'Addario XL's.

10. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)

Sorry I wanted to say that they are dead... few other people sugested me DR sunbeams too. I might try them! :bassist:

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR Sunbeams or Dunlops for sure.

12. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I used to use the Fender 8250 NPS strings with the taperwound E string, they seemed to last for a while. I've heard that Fender changed their strings recently so I don't know how the new 8250s measure up. Also, I clean my strings after each use by wiping them down, using fast fret, and wiping them down again.

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    wow,.. are we supposed to clean our strings?!!! if i have to work that hard...
    i prefer my strings greasy. so much easier to play. i wipe brand new strings off before the R&R. then i rub the oil from my face on to both hands and... BAM!!!
    oh yeah,.. i use Roto nickels and they last as long as i want. 6 months to a year and i play everyday. gl.