Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Long-lasting stainless strings:DR, LaBella, or what?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just got an Axcelerator 6 from bassdr , and it's great. I have Lo-Riders on it now, and if they last a couple of months, fine. However, I've had trouble in the past with stainless strings dying fast, so I'm looking for some that will keep the bright, slappable sound for a long time, and have a nice, deep fingerstyle tone. Is that too much to ask? Roto 66's sound great. For about a week, and then the B string dies.

I haven't tried Hi-Beams or Fat Beams yet. I also haven't tried LaBella Deep Talkin' or Hard Rockin' steels. So any advice or experiences with these (or others) would be most welcome.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

See my review of DR "Marcus" (a.k.a. "Fat Beams") in Talkbass Reviews.

I went back to DR Lo Riders just to make sure I wasn't dreaming how good the DR Fats are and I trid Laklands (actually GHS's), Lakland DR's and Pedullas (actually GHS's, too).

The DR "Fats" just have more of the versatility I was after that you describe.

3. What kind of life is typical for flatwound stainless?

4. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Flatwounds never die, they just keep gettin' better.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Bruce, when I was more of a flatwound kind of guy (and I do have them on one bass now), Fender 9050's would slowly lose their brightness, but not their fundamental character. I'm not looking for the flatwound sound on this bass, looking more for the "drive" that roundwounds have.

6. I have a set of 9050M that came stock on my MIM J fretless. They felt good to play, but didn't have what I wanted on the fretless so I changed them out. I did notice the 9050M were pretty large.

Stainless seems to have a reputation for early death, but I think that is mostly for roundwounds. I have a set of SIT stainless that came stock on my G&L L1500, and I don't like them. Too clanky. Then again, I'm not a slapper. The L1500 is going to get a set of TI PowerBass.

I'm converting my MIM P back to a thumper. The first step is going back to a vintage pickup with thump. My DiMarzio DP146 is wonderfully aggressive and loud, but has zilch for thump. It's being replaced with a Basslines SPB-1 vintage P type. I've been running the same set of TI Flats for almost two years, and they still sound great. But, the general concensus seems to be the 9050 are "the" thumping strings.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I have had a set of LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass S/S rounds 44-110 on my main bass for the past 2 1/2 years and they still sound great. They just mellowed out after a few weeks/months and now they sound warm but growly with enough top for a biting slap sound. And the balanced gauges really make a difference.

Alex