Long Live the minutemen!!!

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by FUZBOT WANAMKER, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Mike,

Just wanted to thank you!!!
    You are the reason i picked up the bass!!
    I mean it!!

@1982/3 minutemen/husker du
    Philly @ Love hall/Wkdu?
    Its been awhile....
    All i know is on the subway ride home
    from that gig, all i was thinking was...
    "god damn! i gotta get a bass!!!"
    The thunderbroom had landed!!
    Much much love to

The Father of Fury!!!!

Seriously Mike, you inspired me at an early age
    to write and play my OWN music!! When i used to
    go to hardcore shows back in the day,i always
    felt that i could do it too!! I humble myself.
    What a lesson to be learned at an early musical age!
    And hell, I'm still at it 'till i drop.
    Thank you brother : )

Ok,enough with all that soppy stuff...
    he he!
    alll right.
    Heres my questions pappy:

One of my favorite recordings of yours is the
    -Bootstrappers-/Elliot Sharp LP.
    You and George are kicking it out! What a great recording! Many a late nite with that record on headphones : )

Is Bootsrappers available on CD?

And what is up with Hurley lately??
    I hope he is playing,i love his style.

The last time i saw you live you where playing a Gibson.
    A Gibson?????
    Why did you switch?
    I saw Firehose....
    I felt the thunderbroom within ten feet.....i felt the rumble across the street....the tone was alive!!...
    I looked up at the stage........and behold!!!.....
    Mike Watt with his Fender!!! Thats your sound!!
    he he!

Much respect!
    Fuzbot Wanam'ker
  2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

thanks for the kind words. I remember that love hall gig well.

you can try and get the bootstrappers cd at sst records (http://sstsuperstore.com/). call greg ginn there and ask for it. here's the contact info:

SST Records
    441 E. Fourth Street
    Long Beach, CA 90802

Phone Orders:

Customer Service & Other Inquiries:
    562-590-8853 ph
    562-590-8513 fx

george hurley and his wife had a son named garrett george hurley in july. he's busy w/his construction company and working on the docks (casual card longshoreman) but plays some still w/a redondo beach band called the farmers.

I haven't played a tele bass since fIREHOSE days. the tele bass I used in minutemen and early fIREHOSE was stolen from my apartment when I was out on tour in 1995. in the later part of fIREHOSE, I started using an old gibson non-reverse thunderbird II. a couple of years ago, my hands were getting too sore from working the long scale so I switched to an old gibson eb-3. both basses were fitted w/bartollini preamps so they sounded nothing like the stock versions - they sounded more like my tele bass which had active emg pickups but w/a midrange control. I still got my sound, bro - everything does not originate w/machinery. I believe the human part is about ninety percent of the whole deal.

however, fender just sent me one of the newly reissued mustang basses. it plays pretty good. I'm keeping it stock but don't know if I'll replace the eb-3 w/it at gigs. not the same punch. great sounding bass still. I recorded w/it last week.

on bass, watt

3. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

sst records is still in business, check the website (http://sstsuperstore.com).

sorry I can't help w/the c.o.c. thing - check http://google.com for a web search.

on bass, watt