Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Long, loud tedious gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fat-bottom, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Just played at the Oregon Convention Center tonight with a 7 piece band and have the usual frustration of playing with guys who over-play. The harp player (directly in front of me) never took the thing out of his mouth and asked the guy running the PA to turn his monitor up to the max. Then he stood to the side of it and let the thing blow me right in the face. The drummer (to my immediate right) rushed and played like he was trying to impress someone. In addition to my two Eden 210T's next to his high-hat, he had a Yorkville 215 drum monitor facing him next to his floor tom. The lead guitar player (who is good) set up his amp on a chair, right to my left elbow and drilled me. The kick drum reverbrated off the sectioned stage and bled into all the vocal mics. All I heard was rumble, midrangey guitar and nasty squealing harp!!!! Good thing I could watch the singers' mouths move.

Anybody relate to this?

2. Ooops, I almost forgot about the bongos, which made it an 8 piece.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How do you tell if a harmonica player is at your door?

He doesn't have the key and he comes in whenever he wants to.

4. Jazzbo: To Harp Player

Band: "Can you play this new tune?

Harp Player: "Yep"

Band: "OK, One two three..............

Harp: "Wait....what key?

Band: "It's C....One two three.........

Harp: "Wait....it that my A?...........

Band: "Jezuz!

Audience moves to video poker.

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!

God, how many times have I participated in that scenario?

For the record, it doesn't take a large band to make for a long, loud, tedious gig. I do occasional gigs in a 3-piece band that does a Hendrix tribute. The guitar player is *really* good at this stuff, but he plays SOOOOOO loud and takes LOOOONNNNGGG solos. Just gets very boring. I love these old tunes but I've played them a million times. Hard to turn down the money, though. Always make at least a couple hundred per man.