Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

long or short scale for piccolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Hi TBers,

I searched through a bunch of threads about piccolo basses and noticed that most folks are using short scale instruments. I understand the issues WRT string tension, gauges, breakage, wound vs plain, availability of strings etc. These issues would be somewhat minimized for me since I am planning to use only four strings tuned E-G. I also noticed a few people stating that they were going back to longer scales for piccolo but not stating too many specifics as to why.

So my question is do I set up a long scale instrument, a short scale or something in between for piccolo? Please let me know why you favor one over the other. If I were to use a short or in between scale, I may have to trade or sell something to get one because my Longhorn is staying a standard bass. Also, would I be crazy to try to use my p-bass as a piccolo?

For the purpose of this discussion short = 30" and long = 34" - I have had longer 35 & 36" instruments but thats not for this discussion.

Thanks for any input you can give,
    S

2. Did I totally ruin my credibility with this post? It was probably the P-Bass idea, right? :crying: Wouldn't surprise me at all. I am pretty dense, especially during weeks when I don't sleep.

Peace,
    S

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've used 34" scale basses with piccolo strings without any problem, and I currently have a 31" scale bass set up as a piccolo (or, at least I will when I get home and open the box).

Setting your PBass up as a piccolo won't be a problem. Give it a shot. Worst case scenario is that you'll want to change it back.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I had a 34" set up as a picc for a while. If I did it again I think I'd try a short (30") scale. I have no reason, I'd just try something different the next time is all.

5. Ummm... i've got a stupid question. Is piccolo bass tuned in different way? Or how's it look like? Cause i have plan ;}, for piccolo bas being my second pro bass (also with Kahler bridge), and i would like to know something more.

6. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I used to have a 34 inch scale piccolo.

Some tune like the bottom 4 E-A-D-G. Thats with the GHS string set, which has a wire, unwound G. I didn't like that, too much volume variation on the bass I was using.

I always liked Foley from Miles band (which was my inspiration), he tuned a whole step down from the above E tuning D-G-C-F, with a wound F.

You can pretty much do what you want, as long as you can find the strings.