1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Long Scale Bass Stings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ElleryC, Oct 10, 2020.

1. ElleryC

ElleryC

Feb 20, 2020
    I recently purchased an LTD B-1004 Multiscale bass. The scale length is 36.25 in. on the low string. I put Daddario NYXL .105-.045. They are supposed to be a long scale set. Per the manufacturer, the .105 is supposed to fit long scales up to 36.25, but the string tapers just before the nut on that string. The length is fine on the other 3. Just wondering, did I get a bad pack or do I need different strings?

I messaged D'Addario but haven't heard anything back from them

2. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Sounds like your going to definitely need the extra long scale from D'Addario to use for the low string!!!!

3. Ukko

Ukko

May 28, 2007
    The D'addario long scale sets have a winding length (from the ball end to the taper) of 36.25 inches, according to my measurement on two sets I have. Fret Nation's website page showing manufacturers' various winding lengths shows it as 37.1 inches. Your bass has a scale length of 36.25 in. on the E, but that's from the bridge to the nut. You need to measure from where the ball end is anchored to the nut to find the winding length you need.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    36.25" has fallen into extra long scale category, not a long scale anymore. You need to get D'Addario Super Long scale set which has 38" winding length.

NYXL 45100SL (Super Long) set is your only option if you'd like the NYXL. In case you'd prefer the 45-105 gauge, you can get their EXL16SL (XL Nickels) or EPS165SL (Pro Steels).

5. Just realized there are two of these threads floating around.

Here's the comment I just posted in the other one:

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021