1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Long scale Mustang Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slimorfat, Apr 9, 2009.

1. slimorfat

slimorfat

Nov 7, 2007
    hello.
    i have a fender CIJ mustang bass. it possible to replace the original neck with the jazz or p-bass neck? To make make it a long scale bass.:meh:

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    nope it would never be able to be intonated correclty the scale lenght from the 12th fret to the bridge would be less than the 12th fret to the nut.

Sell it and get a long scale p bass

3. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Actually, I did this back in the eighties. I used a precision neck and the p-bass bridge. I think I had to move the bridge back slightly, but it worked fine (I also routed out the neck pocket to fit the larger neck and reshaped the cutaways to make it look more like a p-bass body. Put a p-bass pickup in it too. Yep, totally wiped out a good mustang body. Those were the days!
    Moonshine. :bassist:

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    my question would be *why*?

The Mustang, like the Bronco & MusicMaster, were Fender's intro/student models. Sure, they're funky and kinda cool in a retro way, but they just weren't as nice as the "Adult" fenders.

Given the utterly irrational appreciation that *all* fenders seem to have, I'd keep you MIJ Mustang 100% stock and sell it to buy what you really want.