Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Long Scale SG Fixation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ampegbass, Jan 4, 2014.

1. ampegbass

ampegbass

Jan 10, 2012
    Hey, I have a bad jones for a long scale Gibson EB ( SG ) bass.
    In particular the SB-450. Since these are relatively hard to come by, ( ok there is one on Reverb ) does anybody know 1, anybody who builds something similar or 2, anyone who sells this body shape unfinished....Warmoth and Allparts do not. Thanks.

2. Register_To_Disable

3. ESP/LTD makes one that I believe is rather affordable, depending on what the definition of affordable happens to be.

If money is no object, Warwick makes a beauty; the Jack Bruce signature is one and I don't know if there is a base model that is similar but isn't the sig model.

4. If the shape is what you are really after, why not consider an Epiphone long-scale EB-3 and then change the electronics out? The few SB-450s I have encountered had "blah" tone and BAD dead spots. I was put off them immediately.

5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    This.....I own a 65 SG Special and several Epi SG 400's and a Korean Epi T Bird bass.

The Epi's are really solid overall imo, especially for the money.

Some of the vintage EB-3's are not outstanding at all, same with vintage SG guitars!

6. ampegbass

ampegbass

Jan 10, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions ! Regarding the SB-450 I would change the electronics as a matter of course.......modding is my middle name ! The Long-Scale Epi is an option worth considering but I was really hoping to avoid having to put any replacement pickup up against the neck. Thats why the 450 is intriguing as the neck pickup is farther back.

7. I understand. But unfortunately, Epiphone offers very few models that do *not* have a pickup right at the end of the fingerboard.

8. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I would make my own body and slap on a bolt neck....you could easily control the thickness of the body to get it balanced right this way.

I always wished my 65 SG Special was just slightly thicker to balance better.