Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

long scale strings for cirrus 5er?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by smitcat, Sep 25, 2003.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    hey everyone, i am getting ready to try some new strings, the d'addario slow wounds, and i didn't know if i should get the 36" scale, or is there a different size i should get. i am playing with dr lowriders, and i like them, but i am really curious to try the nickel steel. The "tinny" sound gets to me a little bit, and i would like to hear something different. I seem to have read good things about these strings,and am just not sure what size to get, i have to order them b/c none of the stores around here have them. Also, what is the difference between the super soft, regular, and etc... of the strings? and what do you guys reccommend? i play mainly rock, but not heavy metal or anything.
    thanks-
    =smitcat=

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you get D'addario strings, DO get the extra long version... I bought a set of regular "long scale" XLs for my Cirrus 4 string and they were too short. Also, consider giving the DR Fatbeams a try -- they are bright and lively without being tinny - I *love* them on my Cirrus (and my other basses, too).

3. DR high beams, supposedly fit basses with up to 37 1/4 scales.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I find that all D'Addario Long Scale strings are too short if they are meant for a 35" scale bass or a 34" scale with that strings through the body. The Super Long Scale is a priority. I currently use the D'Addario Slound SW-3000 5SL (Super Long) sets on my Cirrus 5 with bubinga/walnut and other my 35" scale 5s. They work very well for me. One tip. Don't cut the A string. You'll need all of it! ;)