long scale strings for cirrus 5er?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by smitcat, Sep 25, 2003.

1. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    hey everyone, i am getting ready to try some new strings, the d'addario slow wounds, and i didn't know if i should get the 36" scale, or is there a different size i should get. i am playing with dr lowriders, and i like them, but i am really curious to try the nickel steel. The "tinny" sound gets to me a little bit, and i would like to hear something different. I seem to have read good things about these strings,and am just not sure what size to get, i have to order them b/c none of the stores around here have them. Also, what is the difference between the super soft, regular, and etc... of the strings? and what do you guys reccommend? i play mainly rock, but not heavy metal or anything.
  2. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you get D'addario strings, DO get the extra long version... I bought a set of regular "long scale" XLs for my Cirrus 4 string and they were too short. Also, consider giving the DR Fatbeams a try -- they are bright and lively without being tinny - I *love* them on my Cirrus (and my other basses, too).
  3. DR high beams, supposedly fit basses with up to 37 1/4 scales.
  4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I find that all D'Addario Long Scale strings are too short if they are meant for a 35" scale bass or a 34" scale with that strings through the body. The Super Long Scale is a priority. I currently use the D'Addario Slound SW-3000 5SL (Super Long) sets on my Cirrus 5 with bubinga/walnut and other my 35" scale 5s. They work very well for me. One tip. Don't cut the A string. You'll need all of it! ;)