long scale strings on a 35" scale bass are ok?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Magneto, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Hi,
    There's a question that is bugging me. I previously had some GHS long scale "plus" strings on my 35" scale ESP. They were plenty long, but I wasn't too fond of the GHS boomers, which is the only extra-long set the store had in stock.
    The last time I bought strings, the clerk accidently gave me regular long scale strings, and when I got home, I found that they seemed to fit just fine. The felt started about 1 inch past my nut.
    Shouldn't any long-scale string that fits correctly work ok for my bass, or is there a particular reason why I should use extra-long strings?

Thanks in advance..

2. It's rare to have a question go unanswered here at this forum.
    I've been digging around the net, and although I've found alot of info about bass scale lengths and string sizes, I haven't found any details pertaining to string length for a given scale.
    Common sense would tell me that as long as I've got "string" going across my nut, and plenty of extra winding to wrap around the post, that I'm ok..

3. jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    My strings don't say anything else than Long Scale and I have a 35" scale neck..

I'm pretty confident that long scale strings on a 35" is ok.
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I can only speak for my 35" Mod Q5. Every long scale string set I have tried has fit.Including TI Jazz Flats and Jazz Rounds.
  5. Hey guys..
    I greatly appreciate the replies. Since the long scale strings are working out for your 35" scale basses, I guess everything is ok. Thanks..

6. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wouldn't this make the strings "floppy"?
  7. Every long scale set I've ever used on my Cirrus hasn't ever fit. I always have to get Xtra Longs, because the wrap won't go past the nut if I don't.
  8. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    As long as the wrap isnt resting on the bridge or the nut there is no problem. As long as the strings reach their respective machine heads that is.