1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

long shaft tuning key?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Does anybody make a tuning key with a long shaft so the gear can sit way inside the headstock i.e. to provide the string a straight path over the nut?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Hey Mike! What bass are we talking here? Often heads are designed for a straight shot but many angle the strings with no ill effects. The old Fender reverse tuners stick way out, but so do my Squier classic vibe tuners.

3. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Hypothetical 5-string bass with a paddle shaped headstock, and the tuning posts would have to be in an "inverted v formation" to provide the straight string paths. The post for the "A" string would be near the center of the paddle, and would require an extra-long shaft to reach past the edge of the paddle to the head of the key.

4. Hi.

I'm guessing You mean something like the arrangement found on Gibson Mandolin tuners?

If so, I'd assume the only way would be to either make (/get it made) an extension spacer onto the worm shaft, or to make a tuner button with a long shaft.
    That method only works with closed tuners with removable buttons of course.

OTOH, a machinist can turn a longer worm shaft for an open tuner as well, but it'll be pricey, that's for sure.
    Easier would be to fabricate a new paddle with a long "tongue" and braze that onto an existing shaft.

How long is long exactly?
    The regular distance + what amount?

Regards
    Sam

5. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    If this bass is going to be custom built, which I'd imagine it is given what you're asking, you could design it with a Seagull-inspired headstock. Seems the easier solution to me.

Seagull_head.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You'll need angles cut in the head or tuners of three different lengths then. B&G, E&D, A. Otherwise, your tuners buttons will not be in tidy alignment.

This is why head stocks have angles cut. An exception would be a Ripper but the strings angle off on them. You can see in the pic above that the Seagull still has angled strings with its design. It takes a radical angle to get the middle strings in line or a long head like a Fender.

7. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Yeah I was imagining three different lengths. Too bad nobody makes them.
    Thanks for the responses.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I'll tell you that Hipshot replacements for Music Man are shorter than Fender vintage replacements but use the same plate I think. Close anyway.

The Schaller on my G3 are very stubby. Schaller also makes long fender size. Maybe they make some in between?