Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

long straps?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Ok here is my situation i am 6'2 and i play the bass my straps that i have ( a generic cloth and a leather one) are just long enough for me toplay comfortably with my electric basses... But i also have an acoustic and when i put it on a strap it is around my neck a am in need of a MUCH longer strap for it an i dont know where to look. I like the center of my bass to be just a little above my waist line.

thanks in advance

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Check out Ernie Ball straps. Those suckers are made with poser guitarists in mind, you can lower your bass to the floor and have strap to spare! :D Theyre only 2" wide though.

3. Thanks il check them out . I dont wanna go to the floor but it would be nice to have te adjustability. The 2"wide part isnt a problem for me i layed bass drum in school so and we had really old and really heavey stuff. My drum wieghed in at 125lbs with a carrier and i would carry it for up to 8 hours at a shot so i am pretty ok with a 2 " strap :)

4. i'm 6'2" and 145 llbs.. i know just how you feel. I just get the local music shop to order me extra long straps. most major strap manufacturers make longer straps; they just cost a buck or two more.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    How low do you wear your bass?!? :confused:

I'm 1,85m (that's around 6"2, right?), and I have to cut my straps almost in half to get my bass in the right position (low chest).

I use Sunshine leather staps.

6. I'm 1,85m (that's around 6"2, right?), and I have to cut my straps almost in half to get my bass in the right position (low chest).

well there is now "right hieght it is where it is comfortable mine is comfortable a little lower then yours if you go by the top of the bass it is my stomach the bottom is at my crotch. This may seem low to some but just s you know i dont baseball bat gri the neck i have my thumb lanted in the middle of the back of the neck . It just gets everything in the right location for me. Maybe cause i am " double jointed in most of my body. With my electrics i dont have a roblem getting it this low it is just with my acoustic.

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I wear my bass so that the top of it is an inch or two under my belly button and the bottom is below my crotch. I used to have it at my thighs but I raised it in the interest of proper left hand technique.

Its great to see everyone marvel at how I can play so fast with my bass so low. My guitarist has his guitar around his stomach and is always like, "Whoa Derek! How do you do that??!?!"

Guitarists just dont understand :rolleyes:

:D

8. Thats exactly what i mean if it works for you great do it. If it is coomfortable do it. But if you are doing it to look cool thats when you shouldnt. I found playing with the botom at my crotch is most comfortable. I have trouble olaying sitting down cause it is so high it bends my hand into uncomfortable posistions so i droped my stra this low and it just made everything click so much better. I say move your bass around find your comfort zone and stick with it weather it be at your neck or at your knees or anywhere inbetween

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    thats good... but now were off topic :p

anyway, ernie ball polypro straps are like $5.99 and they're great. Theyre made out of this really strong material called polypropylene and have leather sewn to each end. theres very strong stitching on the whole thing and they come in a bunch of different colors. You can't get them at guitar center, they just dont have them. ive seen them at sam ash though. You can get them in White, Black, Red, Rainbow, Purple, Gray, Burgundy, Olive, Navy, Forest green.

[​IMG]

they look like that. the gold ernie ball logo on the end of the strap is how you know its a quality ernie ball strap :D :D

10. Zon's leather strap is also extremely long.

11. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    ernie ball straps are the best,
    anything else is too short for me.
    i'm only like 5'10 though,
    but when i play the top of the bass is below my crotch, cuz i have really long arms, so it works out,
    i've been told i look like krist novoselic when i play.
    so i guess that means i look like a goddamn ape,
    but ah well.

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    hehehe Krist Novoselic... that guy cracks me up just thinking about him. He picks so weird its just hillarious and he wears his bass at his knees.