Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Long term Bass storage

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike N, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I have a MIA Jazz 5 string that I wont be playing for quite some time,yet I dont wish to sell it either.So Im wondering whats the best way to store it,do I release the string and truss rod tension,or do I leave it alone and put it in the case?Any help appreciated.

2. How long is long?

I have a couple of basses that I don't play a lot.
    I clean them up, tune them down a half step and leave them in their cases standing upright.
    If I am going to use one I tune it up and let it sit for a day or two for the neck to adjust to the tension.

Don’t know if any of that helps but sometimes its the little anal retentive things that make me happy

:)

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I probably wont play this Bass for 6-12 months.
    Some other Basses I have that I also wont be playing Im going to sell,however this particular Bass is a keeper.Also,I usually store them laying down(I hide them under beds,couches etc....in their cases,of course)is this bad?Is it better to keep them standing rather than laying down?