Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Long term effects of Lasik surgery?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tekhna, Apr 9, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Are they known yet?
    I am curious, because I know initially there was a lot of scepticism and mistrust, and when the technique then worked the question became, is it actually permenant, and does it harm your eyes. My brother is thinking about having it done, and it seems like he needs a lot more information about the surgery before he does do it. It has been around for what, 10 years or so, so there must have been some studies done over the last while.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the trick is to go to a Doctor who does a lot of them.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Being hellishly nearsighted I always ask around about this as well. Some people who have had Lasik done are completely satisfied, others give mixed reviews as far as fixing the initial problem but creating others.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I know lots of folks who have had vision correction surgery... almost all are unequivocally positive about it. The main thing stopping me is fear for my near (reading) vision. I'm nearsighted but I have better-than-normal close up vision and don't want to jack with it. My dad is in his sixties and doesn't need reading glasses... I'm hesitant to risk what I have. I've heard that a followup surgery will be likely in your 50's, FWIW. I'm sticking with my contacts for now...

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I am severely nearsighted, and wanted lasik a few years ago. I decided to take the safe route, and find a conservative doc to give me an assessment. He sits on the state board that certifies other docs seeking to do lasik. He did an ultrasound of my eye, and determined that there was not enough corneal mass to remove during the procedure to perfect my vision, and recommended that I NOT have it done.

He told me that if I went to one of the guys who advertised heavily for cheap lasik procedures, they'd do it without mention of any risks. He begged me not to - said I would suffer from dry, scratchy eyes my whole life, as well as seeing overwhelming glare during nighttime driving. He implored me not to do it.

I personally think that if you have ANY qualms about having it done, seek someone who is EXPENSIVE, qualified, and conservative. If those dudes don't want your money, you shouldn't have it done. You only get one set of eyes.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Short answer:

Since this technique is relatively recent, there is NO long term data available.

Know one knows what happens after 10, 15, 20 years and/or what effects on the vision it will have then.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The place to look for information is www.surgicaleyes.org . There are a lot of horror stories there, as well as facts and good docs who do surgeries. The good news is that understanding of the risk factors for problems are much much better than they were a few years ago. Just a few years ago people like Eric Moesle would have had the surgery and have their eyes ruined for the rest of their lives. Today Eric's doctor tells him that he's not a good candidate.

Personally after doing research at Surgical Eyes and other places I wouldn't do it if you gave me a million dollars, much less pay for the procedure.

The bottom line is no-one knows the long term effects yet because the procedure's only been performed for about 15 years and there is a disturbung dearth of long term follow-up research being done.

8. I had radial kerototomy done 9 years ago. For those that don't recall, that was the predecessor to Lasik. Only instead of a laser, the surgeon used a microscalpel.

Before the surgery, he advised that when I hit 40, I would become nearsighted like almost everybody else. That is not due to the surgery, but the eye's natural aging; the muscles are not flexible enough to focus on close objects anymore. Sure enough, and now I'm closing in on 45.

So I still have great distance vision, I just need reading glasses. To me that's a minor inconvenience, compared to the freedom from wearing glasses the rest of the time.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    until they figure out everything they need to know about it, i'm going to stick with my glasses.

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Both my parents have had laser surgery (done up in Toronto cuz it was cheaper than in the US) and they're doin fine I think...don't ever hear em complain so its good I guess.