Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Long term issues that it's time to fix....help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mariner, Feb 18, 2005.

1. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    OK, I've been playing as a hobby for awhile and may take a serious turn as I'm meeting plenty of other players in my new surroundings. Here's my dilemma. Many years ago I fancied myself a luthier and installed a set of Quarter-pounder pickups, so long ago I couldn't tell you anything about them other than I think they were made by DiMarzio. I thought I did everything right but here's where I'm at now. My Peavey 310 Combo has a horrible habit of growling at me and might sound close to being proper after a nice thump on the top of the cabinet. I thought it was an issue with an old used amp until my latest addition, Hartke something or other, started doing the same thing. I fear my pickup installation may have been damaging my equipment.

Sometimes I detect a slight buzz that changes when I touch the strings. my base is an entry-level Hondo lefty. It has string through body setup with a plate on the face where the tension mounts are. I may have run the ground there trying to follow the original setup. maybe a bad idea.

Real easy setup with only 1 volume and 1 tone. Can anyone make an good recommendations or point me to any useful howtos? I love the pictures I've seen of the shielding with the copper material. Since this is the 1st day I've been on this forum, I've got plenty of digging to do. Also, any good amp repair spots in Northern Virginia? I fear a may have damaged the compressor on the Hartke and who knows what happened to the Peavey.

TIA

2. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    Well, I had to go give it a whirl after writing this. The poor Hartke amp had no sound with compression turned on. It's a Hondo 830 Fame Series and I couldn't here any noise this time, actually sounded quite good. The pickups were BassLines Quarter Pounders and not DiMarzio. It's been awhile since I took a good look at it, but that will change.

I've seen many sites on shielding and will go hunting for a good shielding kit tomorrow and re-wire things.

I'm sure I'll have to take the amps in for a look over.

Still, if anyone has some good links to pickup wiring, please post.

3. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    To continue the saga...

I visited a few of the local shops yesterday and was given te advice to clean out the heads, that my problems may be dirt related. That did fix everything for the Hartke, sounds really good.

The Peavey is another story. I get sound, but I'm experience what I guess could be the 60-cycle hum and when I don't touch the strings it's really bad. I seem to have a lot of distortion too.

I plugged my son's guitar into it and there was no distortion, but the hum was still there. The amp has a 3-way ground switch and changing that didn't make any difference.

Could I still have an issue with my bass that the Hartke is hiding??

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  5. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    Thanks for the reply, I think StewMac will be my friend. I visited all the shops out here over the weekend and whenever I mentioned shielding kits, I got the weirdest looks, like I was abnormal for wanting to fix something myself.

It just seems really bizarre that the Peavey brings out the noise and the Hartke doesn't. The Peavey is quite old, I bought it in 90 and it was already used. Just a sign of the improvements brought about by modern technology.