long-term negative effects of underwound strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MisterSkimpy, Feb 3, 2005.

1. MisterSkimpy

Dec 21, 2004
    Does anybody know of any long-term adverse effects that wrapping a string an insufficient number of times around a peg would have on a bass?

I just put new D'Addario's on my Fender Jazz last night. The E wrapped around about 2 and a half times, but the other three (which I cut some like I usually do) wrapped around the peg about 1 1/2 times. They fit good and snug, and they play and sound fine. I've just read in stringing instructions that it's supposed to wrap around more times, and it got me to wondering if stringing less than two wraps could be bad for my bass in some way.

I've always assumed not, simply because the only issue would seemingly be that of tension, and I don't see how that would drastically change the tension. I know there are temporary issues of possible fret buzz/string slippage/tuning problems, but I'm not noticing anthing like that. I just wanted to run it by others to make sure I'm not doing some unnoticed long-term damage to my favorite posession on this earth :)

I checked through the forum to see if this had been covered and didn't find anything. If it does so happen that I'm repeating an old question then I apologize.
  2. As far as I know, it's more of an issue on Fenders where the A string will often ring at the tuning post if there isn't a sharp enough break angle over the nut. Angled headstocks generally don't have that problem. Hit an open A pretty hard and see if there are any weird overtones, like a metallic ringing. If so, you need more winding around the post. Besides that, the string retainer should handle the D and G and the E string rarely has problems of that nature.
  3. MisterSkimpy

Dec 21, 2004
    So you're saying in terms of doing my bass harm this shouldn't be an issue?
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    There's not a chance it will harm your bass.