1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Long thin neck laminations

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by krfoss, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I would love to do neck laminations like this, but wonder how to get away with it. Specifically, the extra thin pieces (the light wood). Are they basic veneer wood? If so, is the only way to get that look to have a veneer sheet the length of the neck, or can you get away gluing shorter lengths end to end from veneer sheets (like found in 12"x12" packs)?

Thanks woodworking gods!

2. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I found this the other day
    Longboard Color Sheet

Bad thing is you have to order 7 sheets. Also couldn't find the exact thickness

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    LONGBOARD COLOR-INFUSED MAPLE VENEER
    • 12 x 47 x 1/16” sheet size
    • accepts glues such as Titebond III and epoxy
    • available colors changes frequently
    • color shades change from sheet to sheet, as well as how far in the dye has penetrated.

4. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Perhaps I should clarify further. Do I HAVE to use the long veneer, or can I get away with the shorter cuts if that's what I have? Of course if I have to I'll buy the long stuff, but why buy something unnecessarily if what you have will work just fine, right?

5. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    My take on this is that I can't guarantee that the the 12x12 sheets will stay in place when I laminate the stack together. So I ask the same question as kross poses.

6. Personally I would only use long pieces, because of the fear of slippage. Veneers are hard to keep in place.

7. Frederiek

Frederiek

Aug 8, 2016
    Netherlands
    Smaller pieces of veneer can be glued together. End to end is a bit more difficult than along the grain, but it is very well doable. Trying to use smaller pieces can theoretically be done but as has been said, it will be very hard to keep everything in place when clamping.

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    i would not use butt joined veneer in any structurally important glue up

Rôckhewer, Beej and Manton Customs like this.
  9. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    tell us more about your woodworking skills and available tools. there are ways to make these kind of thin accent lines without purchasing expensive veneer materials IF you have the right skills and tools

10. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I'd say moderate. I have one build under my belt (Home made fretless 5). Before all I had were battery powered tools with occasional use of better tools. I now have a table saw, drill press, router, jig saw, scroll saw, and a smattering of hand tools/ files. i'd love to get a stand alone belt sander and band saw, but one thing at a time.