Long thread dual gang pots for rear routed bass - source needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I am looking for dual gang pots with sufficient threaded length to install on a rear routed body.

I am specifically looking for A250k and B1M dual gang, or better yet in the case of the first one A25k/A250k dual gang if such a thing exists.

Anyone have any leads on a source or model numbers for suitable pots?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    No, but have you considered using a Forstner bit?

MattZilla likes this.
  3. Long threads are always tricky. They are mostly made for guitar so any value/taper that's not commonly found in a guitar will be hard to find.

When you say dual gang, you mean one knob with two resistors on the same shaft, right? Or do you really mean dual concentric? IOW, two knobs, a little one on top of a big one operating separate resistors. If you actually mean dual-concentric, then this would be doable by modding a pot. Swapping in a wafer from another of the same brand.

OTOH, if you mean literally a dual gang (single knob) pot, then I'd look out for a reggie Hamilton fender sig replacement volume pot. I'm pretty sure this has 25k and 250K on the same shaft. Not sure how long the threads are though...

4. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Thanks. I'm aware of this and finding "guitar pots" for anything higher than 500k is pretty tough.

I do mean dual gang. 1 shaft with 2 elements. I will follow up on that Reggie Hamilton sig but as noted above the 25/250k combo isn't as much of a problem. I have found a 250k dual gang and can use tapering resistors to create the 25k section. The 1M is proving to be the impossible one.

5. Pulling apart a dual gang pot, swapping the resistive wafers, and reassembling it is fiddly but doable. I've done lots of this sort of thing over the years. Just be sure all both the donor pots and the pot you are building are from the same manufacturer.

6. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I saw your posts about doing that to create stacked pots of otherwise unavailable combinations. I may go that route, but for now I think I have another solution. That Fender pot from the Reggie Hamilton will help a great deal.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021