Long time guitarist

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Metal_prophet83, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Metal_prophet83

Metal_prophet83

Sep 13, 2017
    I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been a guitarist for 20 years and the extent of my bass playing for 18 of those years was simply doubling the guitar thinking I could play bass too.
    I took a larger interest in actually playing bass and started playing with the worship band in my church about 6 months ago.

I've really fell in love with the instrument and just put a used Ibanez sr886 on layaway to replace my wife's Ltd 200 series jazz bass that I have practically stolen lol.

I'm here to just learn more from experienced bassist whether it be playing, tone, or just general conversation about the instrument.

2. Welcome. In Praise the lyric message is the most important segment of the song. We all augment that. For us, most of the time, it's just roots as some songs do use all seven of the chords and the changes come quickly. So roots to the beat is normally what works best.

My only advise is to play roots and hit the chord changes dead on while locking with the drummer's kick drum pattern. If you do not have a drummer, your the beat master - Good luck with that. Yes counting will become a part of your early bass life if there is no drummer. Counting = C-2-3-4 F-2-3-4 G-2-3-4...

Again, welcome.

One more tid-bit. If the drummer brings out his brushes, one root note at the chord change and then nothing else till the next chord change will help with these slow ballad type songs. Helps call attention to the lyric message and stays out of the vocalists way.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. Metal_prophet83

Metal_prophet83

Sep 13, 2017
    Thank you

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022