Long time lurker emerges

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Hedge7, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker finally emerging fromt he depths.
    I just wanted to show my face :bag: and let everyone know how much I appreciate the vast amounts of information that I've found here. Despite all the warnings about buying sight unseen, I've done just that. I just ordered a plywood Christopher with busetto corners (202) from Bruce Sexauer and it should be here in about a week. I don't have a digital camera, but I'll try to borrow one so I can post some pics upon it's arrival. I used to own a Christopher (the lowest level they make) and I loved it. I was forced to sell it because of a move and other reasons I won't go into in this post, but I never got the DB bug out of my system. When I relocated to my childhood home in south Alabama, I knew I had to have another so I came to you all to suck in all the information I could before making a decision. We have no such DB shops around this area that some of you have the privilege to live near, so playing one was impossible. I had to find someone that I could trust and I leaned toward the Christopher since I'd already owned one. Bruce has been most helpful and very informative. He's set it up for me and now I'm beside myself, waiting for it to come in :hyper: !! Without looking through everyone's profiles, do any of you live in my area? I'm looking for a teacher, but so far have come up empty.

BTW, Along with three of my best friends, I own a recording studio in Fairhope, AL. If any of you guys are looking to go to the beach and recording, we'd be the perfect place for you (shamless self-promotion) to record your next project!! :D

2. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Hey Butch,
    Welcome to the forum. I'm a newb to the DB and the group myself but feel like I struck a gold mine happening upon this site. I was bit hard by the DB bug a couple of months ago and now when I'm not playing my rented chinese carved bass I'm thinking about playing it or hanging out here. I wish somebody would've warned me that the DB is more addicting than crack or heroine - naw, that probably wouldn't have helped. Glad to have you here and if you haven't done so already go have a listen to the TB DB sampler when you get a chance. Some serious cats hangin' round these here parts. Hope the Chrissy arrives soon and it's all that you're hoping for. Everything I hear about Christopher basses leads me to believe that they're an incredible bang-for-the-buck.
    Looking forward to seeing those pics.

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I think someone else posted on this site that the Sexauer shop here isn't bad and that he caters alot to the local schools. I've never seen his shop in Petaluma, but from what I gather he seems to be ok. I wanna hear how you like the bass once you get it.
  4. I read those posts too and that's a major reason I felt good about ordering from him. He seems like a heck of a nice guy too. I plan to give you all a review (as best as I can considering I'm a newb) and I'll post a pic or two when I borrow the digital camera.
  5. Welcome to TBDB, Butch. If you don't want to hit on anyone for a camera, Kodak is making a disposable digital...at least in terms of getting a CD loaded with your shots. This makes it a snap to deal with posting pics! Pretty inexpensive too!

After thinking about it, maybe it isn't Kodak...but your Drug store will have them.
  6. Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the tip, Paul!! I'll do just that. I can't wait to get my new bass in hand. I've always loved the busetto corners. My last Christopher had that "high gloss" finish and that was my only complaint with it, but this one is supposed to be a satin finish and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Bruce told me that if I liked my 101, I'll love the 202. Plus he's doing a complete setup for me. I'm really excited about it!

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I've got the 304, same as yours but with a carved top & glossy finish (I don't care really). I love mine... slapped some Corelli's on it and the sound is really growing on me, not to mention that it's easy to play. Not to mention that bowing it has started to open it up faster.

Make sure you try to locate a luthier despite how far you are away from everyone, since it's a new instrument the sound post will need adjusting once the bass settles down and so forth. After a couple months, my SP had to be trimmed down a little and was a little tight. You won't know until you've had it a while and given it a chance to settle. Have fun!
  8. I really loved the 304 and wanted that, but my wife gave me my upper limits on what I could spend (yes, I admit - I'm whipped). But Bruce assured me that I would love the bass. I'm sure he's right. I'm in the process of trying to find a luthier locally. There's a nearby town that has a guitar store called "Picker's Paradise" and they deal mostly in acoustic instruments. They're my next step to see if they know anyone that can help me out. Bruce is also sending me instructions on how to set the sound post. I'll just need to find a sound post setter thingy. But that makes me nervous. I'd rather watch someone do it before I attempt it.
  9. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hrm, maybe you should make just one luthier trip so you can watch it once. I'd think it'd be worth it. My bass teacher does his own sound post stuff and advised me to do the same, sooo I'll probably start researching on it too.
  10. Maybe I should think about getting some basic luthier tools since I can't find anyone around here. I'm pretty handy with wood, but working on acoustic instruments still scares me.

Did you get a bow with your Chrissy or did you buy one seperately? I didn't get one with mine but I'm going to buy one if for no other reason than to help it open up, like you said. I'll be playing mainly a jazz style, so I didn't think I'd need one. Besides it would have cost me another $300 or so. I'll check (all hail) Bob's site. That's probably where I'll go for mine.
  11. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    When I was talking about going to a luthier, I was referring to driving a long distance to find one. I'm hesitant to set my own SP unless I get more informed. I don't think you need woodworking skills to set the SP since it doesn't involve working with the wood to set it. You need SP setting skills. :p

But anyhow, yes I bought my French bow separately from Bob G. The brazilwood bows are great and alot of people here like them. They're only ~$150. Personally, I would buy one of Bob's bows without hesitation even just to bow open strings on my bass. I showed it to my teacher who is Conservatory trained and he approved of it. Heck, who knows, you might get lucky and find a teacher who can show you how to use it. I'm learning to like arco quite a bit and I find it addictive. :)
  12. I just heard that there's a luthier that specializes in double bass a few blocks from where I work in Mobile. I'll check his shop out on Monday after work. He's a retired symphony first chair symphony bassist and has about 20 years of jazz experience under his belt. I look forward to talking to him. He teaches too, so I may have found a luthier and teacher all in one. :hyper:
  13. Hey everybody! I just picked up my new Christopher (204) with busetto corners and satin finish :hyper: . It came from Bruce Sexauer's shop in Petaluma, CA. He set it up for me (Jazz) beautifully and it plays great!! I couldn't be more pleased. I'll post some pics as soon as I get them developed, in the next day or so. I'll be getting new strings sometime soon, but the strings that are on it aren't bad at all.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I'm back in the flock!! :D
  14. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Congrats on the new purchase. I've been playing a school owned Kay S1 for the past going on 4 years. I like the bass except it is in dire need of a setup [the action is verrrrry high].

I'd also recommend getting a bow from All Hail Bob G's site if you can't find a place locally to get one-even if you can get one locally-it might be a better deal w/Bob. I've got one of the fiberglass bow's from his shop [i think-it came w/a quiver i bought off of a guy on here]. It's a decent bow, however, i do plan on upgrading to some sort of wood bow-if the band director at school would let me buy the bow they got for me to use-i'd definately consider it-nice hair, decent weight, good wood. I think it's some sort of A.Eastmen [i think that's what is stamped on it]. It definately sounds better than my fiberglass one however. Hearing the bass come alive with the bow is a great sound however-i need to get better with my bow technique as my sound is very immature.

That's all and enjoy the bass.
  15. Thanks Cam, I did buy one of (all hail) Bob's glasser bows and it's just fine for what I'm using it for. I'm mainly using it to help the bass open up. Even though I've only had the bass a couple of days, I'm enjoying it very much. Keep with your playing even after you get out of school. I'm a very late starter (at 47 years old), but it's better than not starting at all. I've been playing guitar for 35 years, but bass is a much more recent discovery. I'm having a ball!!
  16. Very nice. Looks like you might need an extension to the house, though :)
  17. PeteF

Jul 21, 2004
    Very cool, much nicer than the bass i started out on. Yea good choice with the lessons, i competly messed up my form with just goinng with orchestra classes instead of lessons.
  18. You mean: "Bass HABIT to support..." :D
  19. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I've played slab for about 7-8 years now. I've played upright bass for the past 4 years. I did play cello for 3 years though. I am a far better electric bassist than i am double bassist. I am also starting to dabble in the building of bass guitars. The day i started playing double bass-was the day it hit me like a brick wall-that's a whole different world from what i was used to. It's like-the level of expression available is unbelievable. It's definately a more physical instrument [especially when not setup properly] but-it just has that certain something that you can't get on a slab. I think it is an asset to my playing that i can play both bass guitar [namely 5 stringers-lookin into building a 6 or 7 sometime though] and double bass. For my school-i replaced about 4 different bassists. They had 1 that played upright bass for our wind ensemble, 1 did a few of the band department bands, and then a few others did random smaller bands. I do it all :) End of my self promotion.

That hit me to the point where the first bass guitar i built, i gave it a really thick neck [compared to a stingray5], and a bit of an extended scale [think it's closer to 35 or so-i need to measure] w/an unlined fretless fingerboard.

It's never tooo late to start. I'm trying to talk my dad into buying a guitar as he's said he'd like to start playing again. I'm not sure if he means regular guitar or bass, but i encourage him into it. He has fairly recently bought a sax again [i think a tenor-could be an alto though] after wanting one for awhile.

That's all