1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Long time no see!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AsaBass-A, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Hey everybody! Gee whiz, it's been about 3 years since I've been on talkbass and to tell you the truth I've been missing it (or missing out)! SO, I wanted to come back and let you all know that I'm here (not that any of you cared :crying:;)) and with a brand-new upright! I got mine yesterday and have been playing non-stop; I absolutely love it to death! If there are any pointers whatsoever on maintaining it, cleaning -what have you - that you can give me, that would certainly be appreciated. Thanks a million and keep bassin' away!

2. So what did ya get? I finally came to my senses and sold the EUB and went for the inexpensive Chinese double bass (Gamba cornered Thompson RM-100 w/Spirocore Mittels, set up for jazz) and I'm absolutely sold on the upright!

3. Oh, I got a Christopher Hybrid...it's beautiful. It's a golden brown (kinda glossy) finish with violin corners. Looks great and sounds great. I researched for about 3 years and played about 60+ uprights before I found the two I was set on.

Actually, the Christopher I bought was an accident. First I had two lined up and played them, side by side, for about an hour and a half because they sounded very similar to me. I finally chose the hybrid out of the two because it seemed to have a little more sustain in the middle of holding the notes. As I was starting the purchase, I went to another room of this shop where I was fixing for a soft case for the new buy and there were a dozen or so more uprights hanging out in there. When I walked in, this one golden brown bass was sitting in a stand in a smaller room off to the side of the second room with all the cases and it just, well, gave me the 'stare.' I thought to myself, "Well, I guess I'll play that one too." The curator of the shop told me that "it was a hybrid as well." And so I played the one I was about to purchase with the Christopher, side by side again, and found the body shaking vibrations, low action, and great projection I was looking for (by a few points over my initial buy)! They were the same price and - BAM! There you have it: check written, invoice in hand, and upright in car! Haha, Wednesday was a great day.

Shoot, I already have my first gig with the thing in June (ahhhh :rollno::help::hyper:). Oh yeah, and the shop owner gave me the bag, bow, and rosin for free...Don't know if that's usual or not. In any case, I am one happy camper.:bassist::cool: Cheers! :)

4. Just for more info.: It's a Christopher DB-303F, golden brown (semi-gloss). The shop had set the action low and made the fingerboard suitable for crazy playing (that is for crazy people like me hahaahah).

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I had one of those a few years ago. Really really great bass for the money. Well done!