Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Long time no speak

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Dec 2, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Man just thinking how long it's been since I last spoke to you. Sorry I couldn't come to any of the level 42 concerts I had a hell of a problem getting into college and finding a job but I will try to send a cheque of this week for all your albums.

Any way need a bit of help been trying to use my ebow need a good way of starting the string vibrating with out doing a hammer on and if you can recomend any good effects to use with the ebow.

Thanks speak to you soon

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Nice to hear from you! Did wonder where you'd got to on the L42 tour, but not to worry... ;)

Ebow - takes patience and accuracy. It comes with time... it's just a matter of getting it close enough to the string to get it started, without getting it so close it buzzes. It's a pretty small margin of error, but one that's more than possible with a modicum of practice...

keep going! :D

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yer been practicing with it quite a bit it tends to distort though at times if you leave it on to long the output seems to get higher and higher. Also I can't seem to get it going unless i'm using the harmonic mode.

BTW just put a deposit down on a hartke 1x15 bass cab and a mim 60's reissue fender.

I tried all the ashdown stuff it was very good but I couldn't really tell the differentce between the mag stuff and the abm stuff so then I tried a mag 1x15 500w combo and it was wicked but I spotted a s/h hartke cab so I tried it with a mag 400 head and it was amazing I could get that ashdown sound with it but also get a nicer flatter jazz tone and it just seemed to project better.

But i'm still not sure what head to put on iot because the mag 400 sounds good but its only 250 into 8 ohms and I only want to have one cab. Might get a mag 200 and a power amp that would cost about the same as the mag 400 unless you can recomend some really good preamp for about 200-300 quid.

Good hearing from you.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    a lot depends on where abouts along the length of the string you're holding it. And which pickup you've got on. If you hold it over the pickup, it distorts like mad... in a good way... :D

Worth checking the battery if it's that difficult...

Great - so long as you found a sound that clicked with you, there's no hard and fast rule about not mixing and matching... At some point I'll demo the MAG/ABM difference for you... there are some places where it's pretty extreme when you find it... :D

If you're going the pre/power combination idea, try the ABM preamp - much much lighter than the head, and probably about the same price. Then you can look round for a second hand PA amp by Carver or Peavey or whoever... there are loads...

Another preamp option (in your price range) would be to buy my SWR Interstellar Overdrive from me... you can have it for £300 ONO, if you're interested... :)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Hmmm will have a think about that swr but not to sure if its my sort of sound. Does it do a very good super clean jazz sound and is it in good condition cos I know what your like with gear :D hehe.

Would I be better off with something made by raven labs.

What's a good example of a song where you've used the OD for a clean tone so I can get some idea of what it will sound like.

Also if I bought it would you sign it so that when your a big mega satr I can sell it on ebay for lots of money. ;)

Good speaking to you