1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Long Train Running (short rant)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowsideonacurve, Nov 3, 2013.

1. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Feb 24, 2011
    Every time I've gotten together with a guitar player and started to play Doobie Brothers Long Train Running, they always try to play it in the wrong key. Regardless of whether or not there will be anyone trying to sing it to a specific key, they always try to play it in the wrong key and look at me like I'm nuts. The damn song is in G minor!

End rant.

2. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

That's funny. My very very very experienced and very reliable lead guitar for that tune has started it in the wrong key several times this year. I wonder why.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The RECORDING is in Gmin but the recording ain't the song.

John

4. Five string.

Then you won't care what key it's in.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have played it in F, F#, G, A and B. The song is in whatever key the guitar player kicks it off in. At one point in my life I was in 5 bands. All five (including an originals band) did Hard to Handle. I was playing that sucker in five different keys.

6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Come to think of it the vast majority of bands I have done Long Train in play it in F#. I haven't heard the original in a decade. U sure about the original key?

7. Yup. G Minor.

8. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Ain't no big thing. I'll play it in any key anyone starts it in.

9. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Learn to adapt.

10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Not sure about the original key, but I've played it in at least 8 different bands going back to the late 70's. Every one of them played it in E. :cool:

11. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Feb 24, 2011
    I know very well how to adapt and I can play it in a different key if necessary, like when a singer needs to do it in a different key.:eyebrow:

12. More people are interested in hearing the song sound good than hearing it being played 100% to the original recording.

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've played it in both. I'd rather play it in E.

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If you know how to adapt then why does it bother you?

15. Hi.

^This.

Having been in cover bands for the most of my musical "career", I've noticed that especially those guitarists who can't help noodling around every chance they get, tend to play tunes/riffs from every imaginable key.

It sure is irritating sometimes, especially if someone wants or tries to sing, but otherwise I just brush it off as them being normal guitarists.

Obviously You have deeper issues with the tunes being played in the correct key than most bassplayers I know ;).
    I have a hunch why that is, did humbled nail it?

Regards
    Sam

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    A song should be played in the key the singer can sing. Sticking to the original key when it is out of range for a singer will lead to a train wreck.

Learn how to play music in any key. Simple solution.

17. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    I played it in E, in '73/'74

18. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I've always played it in G....since the 70's

19. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Gm is only A key, not THE key.

20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I love being able to use the open A string in the riff.

Riis