1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Long vs super long tension on chromes?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Mar 17, 2013.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    According to the daddario website, the tension of the super long set is higher. Any ideas how these compare once strung up? I'm thinking of getting the super long to string thru body.

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The tension guide is misleading in that aspect. They make assumptions about the scale length because of the string length (they assume a 34" scale on the long scale strings, and a 35" scale on the super longs - that's it). Each set will have the same exact tension on your bass, so you'll just want to get the set that fits your scale length best.

3. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    For what its worth I put super long chromes on my reverend top loader. Why you ask? I prefer the tone they give better than the 34" scale. There's a certain clankyness to chromes 34" I don't like that is not Present in the super long scale, hard to put into words. As far as tension, they are ever so looser compared to the 34" scale. I think you should go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Is that possible? I don't see how, bro. If it's the same string only longer, what could be different?

BTW, I just tried a set of Chromes thru-body in my AmStd Precision (then did one gig and went back to rounds right after it ;) ), and they fit fine and cleared the nut with room to spare.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    String tension is determined by the vibrating length... This is the length between the bridge saddle and the nut.

Even though a 34" long scale thru body instrument requires super long strings the tension is figured based on the 34" vibrating length.

So putting super long strings will not achieve greater tension, you will just have a longer string on a shorter instrument.

6. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Great, so it sounds like the tension will be the same either way on a 34in scale bass, that's what I was hoping. Thanks

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Same exact strings, the Super Longs just have an extra inch or so of winding at the tuner end.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Correct.

If the gauge and string construction is the same...

It is with 99% of sets.

However one I can think of actually has lighter gauge strings in the super long set so the tension is the same as the long scale set. If you put the super long on your instrument you have lighter tension.