1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Longest lasting 5 string set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Whitenoise17, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    What is the longest lasting set of medium or heavy gauge strings for a 5 string that you’ve ever used? It doesn’t matter if they’re rounds, flats, tapes, or coated. I just want a set of strings that will give me a relatively flat response and last at least a year

2. Supadope

Supadope

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    I am sometimes gassy.
    I make it a point to wash my hands before I pick up my bass. My DRs last over a year.

/not ocd

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Almost any brand of flats can last for yearS.

4. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I can sometimes stretch about six months out of a set of Elixir strings. A year though? That's flats territory as those last for years and years by most accounts (I've never kept flats that long as I end up going back to rounds).

Edit: For reference, I kill most uncoated rounds in less than a month.

5. Tapes will last for quite a while. They are the original coated strings. ;)

6. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    I know flatwounds tend to sound very mellow, so what are some of the brighter sounding flats out there?

7. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    It depends on what you are looking for from your strings in a year's time.

If you prefer a subdued warm sound without much of the typical roundwound zing, a lot of them will last that long and longer. Since you mentioned a preference for medium to heavy gauge strings, I'll tell my story of having a set of Ernie Ball Power Slinkies on my fretless 5-string Jazz bass for almost 2 years. I say "almost" because just before the 2-year mark rolled around, the A string broke on that set. Man, they had mellowed to a very nice, warm tone with some body to the tone, but no real zing to speak of. I do play kinda hard, not hair-thrash-metal hard, but I have a pretty good stroke to my playing. And one night, the A string just broke. No slapping on that bass or crazy bends, either. In fact, that bass doesn't get a whole lot of playing. So I replaced that set with an older set I was saving from my fretted bass (I replace those around 3-4 weeks depending on the gigging schedule). The fretless' tone is coming back around and hopefully, I won't break a string on that set.

The short version of this is that I can vouch for the EB Power Slinkies lasting almost 2 years. Since all of that, I've switched to D'Addario Pro Steels in the same gauges. I like their tension better and the stainless steel sound. I've not had them on the fretless yet, so I can't attest to how long they will last.

8. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Probably D’Addario Chromes or Rotosound 77s.

9. I had a set of DR LoRiders on a four-string bass from spring 2014 and only replaced them this fall (2017) because I thought I should. They still sounded great!