1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Longest lasting SS for 35" 5 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chicago_mike, Apr 12, 2009.

1. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Hey gang, IM using th stock Lakland strings and I love them, but they dont last long enough. I'm a stainless steel guy, so I know the issues that arrise, but what has been the choices for longest lasting.

I used to go with sr2000's but I can never find them and Im still wary of online orders for strings.

thanks for any and all help.:)

2. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Hmmmm... I was just gonna suggest SR2000's...I buy mine online and I think they are pretty consistent...out of 12 sets I havent gotten a bad set yet.

3. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Cool...back to my old standby's. Thanks!:)

4. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Utah
    Will the sr2000's fit running them thru the body or do they have to goe thru the bridge. When I ownd a DJ 5 I had to buy the lakland. Never tried the sr2000.

5. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    D'Addario Pro Steels last me anywhere between 6-8 months. When you order them specify the XLS (extra long scale). Standards won't fit the 35". Sound pretty decent as well.

6. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    DR's are long lasting (and the ones labled "long scale" are plenty long enough - I string them thru-body on my 35" scale Peavey). The coated Black Beauties lasted the longest but any of them (lo-riders, hi or fat beams) seem to have better-than-average life.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If you think SR2000's last a long time, you will be shocked by the DR Hi Beams. The Hi Beams are plenty long for 35" scale, even through the body, and have a similar 'hi fi' sort of funk/pop type tone as the SR2000's (I used the Will Lee versions for a few years). I think I remember the SR2000's having a tapered design at the bridge. The Hi Beams have the standard windings.

Highly recommended if you like the sound of the SR2000's but find they go dull too quickly.

Edit: One thing, the unique round core design of the Hi Beams gives them a very smooth feel, almost like nickel strings, and a somewhat looser tension than other strings of the same gauge. If you want long lasting performance in a string with a more traditional stainless steel feel with slightly higher tension and a bit more aggressive 'rock' voicing (i.e., more upper mids) that the very smooth Hi Beams, the DR Lo Rider Steels are also awesome, and will fit any bass.