Longest lasting strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by liran, Nov 14, 2002.

1. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Which strings, sustain that bright brand new sound for the longest?
  2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    i used a DR HiBeams for awhile... and i LOVE it to death.. i don't have to change strings for like 3-4 months and they sound great!! just take care of them! DR HiBeams give a bass a really bright sound... LoRiders adds more bass and more thump, which I like..

Good luck!
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I use DR Fat Beams on my Cirrus ( I have also used High Beams on it with excellent results), and nickle Low Riders on my Modulus Q5.

I get pretty long life out of em, can't complain a bit about em. I have also used Peavey Cirrus strings, and they also seem to last a long time, and sound very good also. The DR's just seem to sound a bit better.

The worst I have used is Rotosound Swing66's. They sounded good for about 2 weeks. I will never buy them again. YMMV, of course...........;)
  4. TI Flats
    TI PowerBass
    TI Jazz Rounds
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    TI strings do last a long time. So long, in fact, that the extra cost of them is justified.

I have also had very good luck with DM SR2000s. They last longer than most of the stuff I have tried.

If you are having problems with the string dieing fast, remember to clean them off after every use with a lint-free cloth.

IME, strings will die more quickly if you leave a bass out on a stand all the time instead of casing it up.

6. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    SR2000's were what I used to use, and I was always very happy with them, both tone and longevity wise. A few months ago I finally got around to trying Elixirs and I absolutely love them. It took a little while to get used to the coating, but after that, I don't think I'm going to ever switch strings again(to a different brand that is). Some people complained about the coating fraying and coming off of the strings, but I haven't had so much as a single fray yet. That includes playing slap. They really warm your tone also- my bass has EMG's and the Elixirs took the harshness off of them. The SR2000's always had to be eq'd, but the elixirs sound great with the eq flat. It's been about 3 months and they still sound like I put them on yesterday.
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I used the Markley SR2000 Will Lee Sig set on my Czech Spector 5, and they lasted a good long time.
    As soon as my Lakie 55-01 needs strings, I'm going to go back to the SR2000.
  8. faz1

faz1 Guest

i've had some fender roundwound strings for about 9 months and i've had no problem about them apart but the only prob i've had is my nut but i'll get a new one no worries
  9. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have tried a number of brands of strings over the years and the Dean Markley SR2000's lasted the longest for me. I currently use the Will Lee set on both 4 and 5 string basses. They have a bright tone and good sustain. DR strings also last a long time.
  10. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Do the SR2000's come in taper core for us Warwick guys?

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I think they only come in taper core.
  12. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The strings actually have an exposed core. I think this is what gives them the extra sustain.
    I also do the following with old strings to use again: boil, freeze, thaw in alcohol, and replace upside down (where the most worn areas of the string are opposite of the fretboard). I can usually do this twice with a set and still get a good sound.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My Lakland 55-94 still has the original strings that came on it 4 years ago. They still sound fine to me, but I just ordered a new set, only because I'm embarrassed to say I haven't changed strings in four years.
  14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hey cheesewiz, I got a set of the will lee series for my ray 5, when doing a recording session. They were on there for 2 weeks when we did the gig with stephen pearcy. Dumped the e string off it it second tune of our set, with (my own fault) no spare bass, or strings with me. Kinda left me stranded in front of a big crowd, won't ever use them again. Luckily, suckerpunch was there that night with us too, and they had dropped their gear off earlier in the day.....dean was prepared enough to bring extra strings luckily.