Longest new sounding strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jun 7, 2003.

1. I'm looking for nickel plated steel strings, that have the longest "new" sound to them, ones that don't go dead for a long time, and that aren't taper-wound on B,E,A(possibly). Any hints will be cool
  2. Elixir's are nickel plated SS with a coating.
    These are the longest lasting w/fresh set sound.

I used them for years before I went Flat.
  3. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    yup. elixirs will last about twice as long as most others... but then they cost twice as much.

the coating that Donne refers to gives the strings a nice smooth feel in addition to protecting 'em.
  4. bb3

bb3 Commercial User

Jun 28, 2003
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Owner of Armstrong Instruments
    I suggest trying the high tech "FireWire Strings". They are hand wound at slow speed and they use a unique high tech enhancement process to get 2-4 times the life span of other uncoated strings. Bill Wallace from the Guess Who uses them and says that they have less "double notes" and are really accurate, I tend to agree with him, they are really great strings; alot of bang for the buck!
    If you can't find them locally then you can get them direct at: www.firewirestrings.net
  5. Another vote for Elixir. They sound fresh for weeks. Plus, they aren't taper-wound.
  6. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002

Aye, dems good ones dey are...
  7. i dont know which last the longest, but all i have to say is dont be fooled with 'EXP (extended play) coating' on daddario strings, the Xls i got with that sounded dead and sterile straight out of the packet, yeah sure they stayed that way but is that good?
  8. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    TI Powerbass last a very long time, but they are expensive