Longest-owned bass on TB???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Mar 25, 2005.

1. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Ok folks here goes. The thread to decide who on Talkbass has owned their bass for the longest time. Please be honest and if possible post a pic of your beauty for all to see. Please allow me to begin however I suspect I will be surpassed in the length of ownership department very quickly.

1984 Roadstar owned since.......2001 (uuugh).

2. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Alembic Distillate, built for me in 1990......so 15 years and counting.
  3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm definitely going to be beaten quickly as well. I bought my Rickenbacker 4001 in 1976, gigged with it unmercifully, and it has now retired to a cherished position of rest and only occasional playing, thus eliminating the need for any more than the three refrets I had to do in the 70s and 80s (RotoSounds used to really eat frets, but at least I sort of sounded like a less talented Chris Squire). Its beautiful white finish now looks like teeth stained by years of smoking, because, like my first wife, it hung out in a lot of bars.
  4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've got my Steinberger XL-2 new in early 1989, and I've had my Ric 4003 since 1986. :D
  5. rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I bought my first bass in 1969 after telling several guys at school, "Sure I know how to play bass." That afternoon I went out and bought a Hofner copy by "Rhythmline," wrote all the notes on the E and A strings on masking tape along the side of the neck, and got the gig that weekend.

Still have it, and though it's a terrible instrument by any objective analysis, to me it's priceless. I am SO glad I never sold it.
  6. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Bought my Kramer DMZ 5000 fretless (aluminum neck) in 1978. I keep it in my office-play it usually before work or after hours to get my bass fix in while I'm not at home.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have had this Electra Westone Spectrum since 1984 or 1985.

And this Peavey Foundation since 1987. Currently semipermanently loaned out to a guy too poor to buy his own.

8. I've had my Fender Jazz -- called "The Wife" around my house -- since I bought it new in 1982!

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

1983 Alembic spoiler, bought new. I'm the only owner. Retired, never played now. Saw thousands of gigs

10. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I bought my '58 Fender Precision (used ... or I should say ... trashed - no finish, only a small part of the pickguard left, but the neck and pick-up were "perfect" for me) in 1967 at Leo's Music in Oaklamd, CA. I've re-built it 2 times and used it on almost all the recording sessions I did in the '70's in LA. I've owned several other '50's P-basses but that first
    "real" bass has stuck with me for all these years. Since the mid-'90's I've been using 5-strings custom built by Carlos Carbajal here in Mexico City (he worked at Fender . . . a long time ago) using Basslines SMB-5A and Hipshot bridge and tuners.
  11. My longest owned bass is a Grant Violin bass bought for me Christmas 1975, it's only used at home occasionally now but still plays well considering how much I've abused it over the years, the neck has been on and off several times the electronics in and out, the top frets filed with my dad's heavy duty file, the frets have been taken out and it was used as a fretless during my ' I'm so cool ' phase in the mid 1980's I put them back in again around 1990, although it took several goes to get them all in the correct place. Yet still this beauty keeps its tuning and plays really well. I think I should be locked up really for cruelty.

Stu :bassist:
  12. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I still have my 1967 Hofner Beatle Bass that I got for my birthday in 1972! Still have the receipt, we paid $300!!!!
    We'll be buried together!!! :)
  13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought this '76 Thunderbird new in '76.
  14. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm a relative young'n on the boards at age 26, so my oldest bass I still own is an Ibanez TRB105 5-string, named Sonja, I've had since 1995, when I was 17. I traded up my Ibanez EXB404 (named Charlotte) for that bass.

Those basses were cheapies that felt like cheapies. The nut came unglued on the EX when I was changing strings once. Despite everything I've tried, I can never get the action the way I want it on the TR. Even after a professional setup, the action's uncomfortably high. God I loathe that bass, but I still keep it around for sentimental value. I played my first gig and my first paying gig with that TR. During a "rock & roll" theme day at the early learning center I used to teach at, each class shot a music video and since my class wanted "Mr. Neal and his guitar" in the video, I even shot a video with that TR.
  15. I have an Ibanez Musician that I bought in 1978. Still looks brand new.
  16. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I don't have a pic handy, but I have my dad's Jazz Bass, not sure of the year, I was born in 69, we think it's early 70's. Been modded like crazy.
    Actually try this link:

Click on "Other Basses". I think it's the first picture. It's the old Jazz on the left in the pix.
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, that's worth a very pretty penny! Can't tell, but you have the red white and blue bird right?

OTOH, I've had my Ibanez SR400 since 2001 since I started playing. That's it.
  18. I've had my bass for 4 years now
  19. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

With those glasses you look like one of the "Superfans" from SNL.
  20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yes, it has the red, white and blue bird with "'76" in it. Somehow I managed to keep it in pretty good shape, I'm not sure how. It was my main bass for 20 years.